Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triggering power on a 5V unit from a 3V unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhoratiu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello again,
I have a microcontroller that works at 3V controlling a RFID reader that works at 5V. I would like to enable one of the pins of the microcontroller to trigger the RFID reader to start. I was thinking of using a relay, but knowing that the microprocessor only outputs around 5mA, 3V once that pin is set HIGH, it might not work. Any ideas?

EDIT: Looking at the datasheet, I might be able to get out around 5-15mA of current through those 3V ports.

In case you're wondering what devices I'm talking about:

IRIS Mote (datasheet) (scroll to page 23/53 to table 6-3 for current specifications):
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mpr-mib_series_users_manual&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-db.ics.uci.edu%2Fpages%2Fresearch%2Fquasar%2FMPR-MIB%2520Series%2520User%2520Manual%25207430-0021-06_A.pdf&ei=VOdwT7aAIIHG2wWiuMjyAQ&usg=AFQjCNEpjoRF5dupr_NkfYFTJxLEfDOBeA&cad=rja

RFID Reader (datasheet):
**broken link removed**

Also, I could try and trigger one of these ports to work through an current meter so i could really measure how much current passes through these ports. For now, all I know for sure is that they can be set to 3V.

Last edited:

You're right! One way I could do it is with a Schmitt trigger!
Thanks!

I've decided to use MOSFET relays to do this job. They seemengly have very low voltage triggering (~1.15V) and low input current (~10mA). Does anyone have an idea of any good, popular MOSFET relays that will trigger from ~2.5V down and with at most 10-15mA of current?

Thank you!

EDIT: The relays I found were from OMRON: G3VM-21LR1.

Why don't you use n-ch MOSFET open drain switch, where MOSFET drain is connected to 5Volts through a resistance of your requirement? 3V uP pin is loaded to gate of MOSFET and Drain may be used to switch the RFID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back