Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiply Accumulate (MAC) unit easily explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Been looking for a good explanation on MAC operations but I found nothing that satisfies my curiosity.

I get the point that in DSP processing MAC units are required but that is about it.

I was looking for a lower level explanation of the MAC unit and operations. I kept on finding documents/white papers on google about FIR filters and FFT?!

So in order to place the MAC unit and operations in perspective:

How does the MAC unit tie in with FFT? If at all.

Whats going into my MAC unit? What is coming out of my MAC unit in a FFT application?

Whats going into my MAC unit? What is coming out of my MAC unit in a FIR filter application?

In general does the MAC unit have a limit that it reaches before it cannot do any more processing?

Is the MAC unit synonymous to the Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)?

A MAC operation is simply the sequence of two elementary operations:
- two operands B and C are multiplied
- the result is added to the accumulator
A = A + B*C
That's it.
It is the basic operation used for FIR filtering, that's why you find a dedicated unit in DSPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back