Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART output - Framing Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neyolight

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I get this output (please see attached pic) on realterm - Not sure why and how can I correct it?

The numbers are ok, but what is all the random stuff with it?

Im using 9600-8-N

Thanks

Attachments

• UARTError.png
    UARTError.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 192

I'm not familiar with Realterm, however it appears you have a "feature" enabled which displays white space characters, including space, newline/linefeed and carriage returns.

Look through the menus and see if there is some way to disable it.

BigDog

Ohh I see, no UART error?

The bottom left corner of the attached picture says " UART receiver framing error"

Will look up the RealTerm documents to see if I can get rid of these random characters

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

If I remember correctly, you suggest Putty for UART? I tried that, nothing opens with it !

Are you running the PIC at 32MHz, BRGH = 0 and SPBRG = 51?

These settings generate a 9600 BAUD Rate with only a -0.2% error rate. Therefore, I see no reason for a framing error to occur.

Is the DSR indicator usually active when Hardware Flow Control is set to None?

Are you using a USB to RS-232 Adapter?

BigDog

Is the DSR indicator usually active when Hardware Flow Control is set to None?

Are you using a USB to RS-232 Adapter?

BigDog

Yes I am using USB to RS-232 Adapter. Not sure about your first question. Ive set hardware flow control to 'None'.

Hyperterminal doesnt give any random characters but it also delete my sampled points if I go over 500 points....

Hyperterminal doesnt give any random characters but it also delete my sampled points if I go over 500 points....
You're a referring to default settings.
- Number of buffered lines is a setup parameter in Hyperterminal
- Serial input can be captured to a text file

Yup, I can capture the file and Im using that now for analysis ! Previously I was copying the numbers on the Hyperterminal to excel to plot graphs and found some data missing.

Hi edaboard users!

I've just encountered this problem today, also with realterm and USB-to-UART converter (Prolific). I finally solved this by adjusting Windows system settings:

1. Go to "Device Manager" -> "Ports (COM & LPT)" -> "USB-to-Serial Comm Port(COMX)" (select your virtual COM port here)
2. Open "Properties" of this virtual COM port
3. Select "Port Settings" tab
4. Click "Advanced" button
5. Pull the sliders max to the left or/and turn off FIFO use.

Cheers,
ak_first

EDIT: I found out now this is not a 100% cure. But you can try playing with these settings.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.