Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS accepted power and S parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiyuanji

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
According to the help file in HFSS, the accepted power is equal to |a|^2*(1-|s11|^2) for a one port condition. By my understanding, it should be equal to |a|^2*(1-|s11|^2-|s21|^2) for two port condition. However, by comparing the two results, they are very close but not the same. Is my understanding wrong? Further more, for a two port asymmetric structure, |S21|=|S12|, but |S11|≠|S22|. Hence, if I change the incident power from port 1 to port 2, the accepted power calculated by |a|^2*(1-|s11|^2-|s21|^2) should be different. However, by doing the simulation, the accepted power for the incident power at two different end of the same structure is totally the same! I am quite confused now...

Does anyone know that? At least help me to confirm whether the accepted power equals |a|^2*(1-|s11|^2-|s21|^2) for two port condition in HFSS?

Perhaps also for the two port condition the accepted power is |a|^2*(1-|s11|^2) for port one, because that is the power that the device accepts at port one. What the device does with the power is independent of the accepted power, eg. if it delivers it to port two (this would be S21) or transform the power into heat or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.