Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate input and output capacitance of linear voltage regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthickb3e

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I designed a 3.3V Linear regulator using IC 78l33 "ST Microelectronics" .

1.) How to fix the values of i/p and o/p capacitors??
2.) I just followed the recommendations in Data sheet and applied 0.33 uF capacitor at the output and a 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor at the input.

3.) What is method used to calculate these values ?? and this value is changed for other manufacturers ??
4.) How to arrive at the apt values of capacitors needed from the load requirements??
5.) What is the role played by this high value o/p capacitor?? its ESR is large and they dont supress ripple or not a good vicinity source , then y use them....
6.) in case not following of manufactures recommendations, what happen and why?

please help

Those are pretty broad questions, and there is no one answer; it all depends on the manufacturer. Generally, the caps provide stability to the control loop, improve transient response, etc. You need to read the mfrs data sheet to understand what to use and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.