Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best language to access serial port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best language to access serial port is C, but I highly recommend Visual Basic because of it is the simplest. You only need to create a mscomm object and then manupulate the object's parameter to implemented your application in the platform.

i recomend C, because using the function outport or _out can be writen to the ports.

You can use Delphi with SERIALNG component (**broken link removed**). I use it and it works fine under W2K and XP.

hi
I Strongly recomend VB. C is good .
But if it involves a GUI it will be easier and quicker in VB.
Just have a look to your MSDN u find a example u can just copy and past and work .
I did it in my recent project.

Regards
Gopi

I think the CommAPI in Java is very good and simple to understand. There are also commerical SerialAPIs available Java. VB is also allows one to get something going quickly. Try Java commAPI. Beside its all available from Sun's Java website.

If U have some experience in C, Then why not try Labwindows or labview

I use C and VB - it's simple

I think, C is the best way to access the serial port, this, or assembly.

Every one says that assembly is to much hard to program, but for things like access serial port, there are no best language!

A good book is The Art of Assembly Language, if you don find it, send-me an e-mail and I post it to the site!

Good job.

vb is simple.but ı prefer c++. you can find alot of source

c is the best but mat lab is simple just 4 to 5 lines

In my opinion, C is easy or convenient to read and write the serial port.
It has ready made fuction available.

You can find component in VB's component pallete but you need to install Serial port component for Delphi & C++ Builder

C is good but acess is only on windows98 and me

only VB and VC++ can do in any other OS

i use c++ builder, very simple,

C is good for interfacing serial port.

language is not important işf you dont want cross compilation.

for windows your question is more related to ide of language you are using. it is more difficult if you are using VC++. but very easy for Delphi or C++ Builder just drag and drop component .borland ide's do all init and control sequences for you

asrafiel wrote:
C is the best. Simple. Seek outportb function and your program will be done.

outportb can use in dos and old windows but it can't use in windows xp and nt

what is the solution for XP and NT ?

Labview is best for serial communication and its the easiest

First of all u have to decide on which OS you will be used. for example if u will use winXP u will not be able to c directly. Because winXP has a different WDM than win98

if your OS is win xp you can use inpout32.dll
**broken link removed**
it enables you to access the ports using C or visual basic
i think it is so easy to access the serial port using MSCOMM control in visual basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back