Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet module in circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom2

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I would need a clue about how to use an ethernet module in my circuit design .

Thanks in advance.

I would need a clue about how to use an ethernet module in my circuit design .

It depends largely to which Ethernet module you are referring.

Do you have the make and model number or possibly a link the datasheet?

BigDog

This is the first time in which i try to involve ethernet so can you suggest me any ethernet module?

There are different purposes and respective different constructions of ethernet modules.

Popular types that release the circuit of complex TCP/IP protocol activities are
- ethernet to serial bridges, e.g. Lantronics XPort devices
- ethernet interface chips with hardware TCP/IP stack, e.g. Wiznet W5100 **broken link removed**

If i have a circuit with PIC micro-controller what ethernet module is needed to add?

Same point as before, depends on the usage of ethernet in your application. In my opinion, Wiznet (preferably operated through SPI interface) would be a good choice. You can also refer to the Microchip Applications based on ENC28J60, they are ready to use, but there is large part of ethernet protocol located in software compared to Wiznet chips.

This is the first time in which i try to involve ethernet so can you suggest me any ethernet module?

If this is your first time implementing an Ethernet interface, I would recommend use a module with an Embedded TCP/IP Stack rather a device like the ENC28J60 which requires a significantly larger coding overhead to implement the required TCP/IP Stack.

The Wiznet W5100 Module that FvM recommended would be an excellent choice.

Many of the modules with Embedded TCP/IP Stacks only require you to implement a conventional asynchronous or synchronous serial interface to connect with the module and issue the appropriate API commands via this serial interface to control the module and the resulting Ethernet Interface.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.