Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscilaltion (ringing) at the rising and falline edge of MOSFET gate signal in HBRIDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunkant2k

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
In my evaluation chip of Hbridge driver, I am seeing big oscillation at the gate drive signal (which is driving PMOS and NMOS switches of HBRIDGE). HBridge is meant to drive maximum of 3A load and is driven maximum of 50V supply.
So my HBridge switch sizes are too big, and gate capacitance can be assumed more than 300pF.
Please suggest the reason behind the oscillation ( I understand due to "Pad and wiring inductors"). How to remove these Oscillation? I see maximum oscillations peak when no load, and reduces with increased loading?
If I add capacitor across supply and gate node for PMOS switch, they are suppressed, but we can't consider that big capacitor ( going to be costly).
Your any insight in the problem that may help me to look at the problem.
thanks in advance.

Did you include gate series resistors (≈100Ω) ?

Low inductance layout is critical for getting rid of ringing. After that, there's not much you can do except add gate resistance to try and damp the ringing. Finding the right resistor value is often a trial and error process, but you usually want to be close to the characteristic impedance of the parasitic LC.

Adding snubbers to the bridge output nodes may also help.

Oh thanks, I did not check by adding additional gate series resistance. I will check and report the result.
But my gate driver itself is controlled by certain series resistance ( current limiting resistor).

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Hi mtwieg, what is the type of snubber you are suggesting. I guess those RC combination with C will be in the range of 100 's of pF. Will it be ok to add that huge capacitor ? Anyways I was already checking using these methods. I was also suggested to use miller cap, but I need to define the gain block, how to use it? Thank you all for suggestion.

I am able to find "No improvement". ( Capacitor helps but I can't add big capacitor across gate and supply.) Please suggest more ideas.

I fear, there will be no effective help without knowing the exact circuit and circuit layout.

As a first step, you would want to operate the H bridge without Vbus to understand, if it's actually a pure driver circuit problem. You should be able to achieve a clear, monotonic gate waveform of specified rise and fall time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back