Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anybody knows a small open source/free cpu soft with JTAG or other source level debug

Status
Not open for further replies.

bt36

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everybody,

Just a long-shot here,

Anybody know of a small CPU or micro controller soft-core
that is free and open source, with source level debugger (via JTAG or other means) please do let me know.

This is for an FPGA project.

This will serve as a small management engine for the FPGA, therefore performance is really not important at all, low resource usage is.

Ease of integration and ease of use (i.e. debugger with a nice GUI) are also very important.

Many thanks in advance :)

Take a look at PicoBlaze from Xilinx: PicoBlaze User Resources

Hi Everybody,

Just a long-shot here,

that is free and open source, with source level debugger (via JTAG or other means) please do let me know.

This will serve as a small management engine for the FPGA, therefore performance is really not important at all, low resource usage is.

Ease of integration and ease of use (i.e. debugger with a nice GUI) are also very important.

Hi cks3976, jimwu88,

thanks for your reply :)

I am using both Altera and Xilinx.

Therefore PicoBlaze is not an option since if I'm not mistaken it is Xilinx-only , not to mention closed source.

About Lattice, well it doesn't seem to have a real debugger with JTAG or other connection to the target MCU.

Any other suggestions?

Which Altera / Xilinx are you using ?

Xilinx Virtex-5 and Altera Cyclone-III.
I know both vendors offer a free MCU of their own (NIOS, picoblaze) but I though about getting a MCU that is vendor independent such that i do not have to go through the learning curve twice...

Hi cks3976, jimwu88,

thanks for your reply :)

I am using both Altera and Xilinx.

Therefore PicoBlaze is not an option since if I'm not mistaken it is Xilinx-only , not to mention closed source.

About Lattice, well it doesn't seem to have a real debugger with JTAG or other connection to the target MCU.

Any other suggestions?

Why not try AVR Arduino Arduino - HomePage which has all AVR features, JTAG, ADC, PWM, USART, USB, CAN and much more

because we need the FPGA part of it :)
we need fast, parallel, programmable logic.
The MCU part is just a small management engine inside the FPGA that does all kinds of sequences of operations which
are more naturally and easily expressed as SW, instead of coding a huge FSM in e.g. Verilog.

anybody knows what is Lattice Diamond and if you can debug the Lattice using decent IDE ?
or Diamond not free?

Lattice Diamond is similar like Quartus or Xilinx ISE.

If you look at the Lattice Semiconductor website, you will find a starter edition which is free.

Hi Everybody,

Just a long-shot here,

oc8051 or mc8051?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back