Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

waveform generator in FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

1nandha

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to develop a VHDL code for waveform generators?
Or can anyone please tell me how and what are the concepts of a waveform generator in detail.

It can depend on the waveform.
A sin wave would be generated using a look up table, a triangle wave simply using a counter, square wave is just a toggle.

for a simple square wave, it like a clock. You need just a counter in your vhdl code. But for sine wave i think you need A/D Hardware.

All of three seconds of random googling:

That approach uses a lookup table.

---------- Post added at 03:44 ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 ----------

for a simple square wave, it like a clock. You need just a counter in your vhdl code. But for sine wave i think you need A/D Hardware.

You don't necessarily need a DAC. You can also PWM the signal on an fpga output pin and then lowpass filter, which can be as simple as an RC filter. I did that in the past and got something like 7 bits resolution, which was good enough for that project. If you need both high resolution and high sample rate then PWM won't cut it and you'll need a DAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back