Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in choosing soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeer_h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to buy soldering iron to learn soldering and solder components on my homebrew PCBs. Pleas can you suggest a good brand? I heard a lot of positive feedback about Weller but still can't decide.
Oh one more thing I don't want it to be very expensive 40$- max 70$
Please have a look at this one
Amazon.com: Weller WP25 Professional 25Watts/120V Soldering Iron: Home Improvement
Is 25 Watt iron going to work perfectly without burning ICs?

Abeer :twisted:

Weller WP25 is a good choice. 25 watt is enough. To avoid burning your ICs, do not solder more that 10sec. it just a rule of thumb.

Reactions: Abeer_h

Abeer_h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I want to buy soldering iron to learn soldering and solder components on my homebrew PCBs. Pleas can you suggest a good brand? I heard a lot of positive feedback about Weller but still can't decide.
Oh one more thing I don't want it to be very expensive 40$- max 70$

Weller definitely make nice irons, I speak from experience as I have two on my bench. However, I would urge you to put the money in a variable soldering iron, rather than a name. A temperature adjustment comes in handy quite frequently when soldering various jacks and other components with heavy gauge leads.

Search amazon for a rig like these:

Soldering Station Variable Temperature 50W

Soldering Station Variable Temperature 70W

Soldering Station Variable Temperature 70W - Digital

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back