Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large signal equation for Common source amplifier with source degeneration resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulloveselectronics

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

How can we define quantitatively the variation of Id and Gm versus the input voltage for a common source with source degeneration
resistance.

My assumptions are as follows:

Variation of Gm versus Vin
Until Vth since there is no channel and hence current flow, the Gm should be Zero
Above Vth ( small Vin slightly above the threshold), and Since the current is very small, we can say that the gm = ( sqrt (2UnCox W/L Id ) should be small, hence 1/gm will be greater than Rs. Thus Gm= gm. Now gm = Un Cox W/L (Vgs - Vth), the current is very small, hence we can assume that Vin is almost equally available across Vgs, thus gm ~= Un Cox W/L (Vin - Vth ). Hence Gm varies linearly with Vin, until 1/gm = Rs. Then Gm = 1/Rs, which will be a constant value henceforth for increasing Vin.

Variation of Id versus Vin
Until Vth, there is no channel and hence the current flow is zero
Above Vth, how do I find the variation?
I felt it should be Id = Un Cox/2 . (W/L) . (Vin - Id.Rs - Vth )^2.

Can you please help me understand the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back