Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog DLL stability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulinesean

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing an analog DLL which
consists of PHD , Charge Pump, and
Delay chain. Actually it is very similar
to a PLL except Delay chain replacing
VCO. Does this kind of DLL have stability
concern? And How can I check it's Phase
Margin?

Thanks!

dll.stabilität download

is there any reason you went with a delay chain instead of a ring oscillator? This DLL will have almost the same set of stability issues associated with PLLs, plus I dont see how you can gain anything using the delay chain instead of the vco. Basically, you are paying the price of a pll but getting performance of a DLL...

Can you please post about the application for your design?

dll stability

My DLL can provide variable output delays
like 20% 25% 33% and so on with different delay stages. But VCO can't. As you said, this DLL has
same stability concern with PLL. Can I check stability
of DLL in the same way as PLL? But for DLL, what's
the gain for delay chain , the counterpart of VCO gain,?

dll stablity

There is a difference w.r.t. stabiltiy.
A PLL will at least have one pole (ideal integrator) from the VCO (voltage to frequency conversion, so you have to integrate to get the phase transfer -> VCO transfer = Kvco/p with Kvco in rad/V*s).
To get zero phase difference you'll have to create one extra integrator in the loop, so you end up with a second order system, which can get instable if you don't introduce a zero.

The DLL does not have the pole from the VCO: the delay line is a voltage to phase conversion (delay line gain rad/V)
So when introducing one integrator in the loop to get zero phase difference, you'll end up with a first order system which is unconditionally stable.
Still you have to watch out for parasitic poles, introduced inside your loop, so you might end up with a second order system.

p.s. a DLL can give better noise performance at low frequency offsets w.r.t. a PLL, because the regenerative nature of the VCO will increase the noise near the carrier. A DLL will be "reset" by the reference on each input edge.

Sceptre

DLL stability

I think this kind of DLL have no stability
concern! Its phase margine is 90.

DLL stability

I agree, but simple current-starved inverter delay line will make the phase noise of the input clk to be worse, isn't it?

Re: DLL stability

CML style delay cell with regulated supply will reduce injection of supply noise .It will certainly help if you are designing high speed DLL

Re: DLL stability

I AM ALSO WORKING ON THE SAME THING WILL YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND FURTHER WHAT CAN BE DONE.I HAVE STUIDED PLL AND DLL BLOCK DIAGRAM FROM WHERE I SHOULD START DESIGNING PORTION ON PAPER.PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.