Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to learn the BUS architecture(PCI, PCI Express, AMBA...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweesw

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know nothing about how a bus transaction is handled.
I wish to learn it from scatch, for example, what means master, what means slave, etc.
Could anyone share some ideas what and where I can start with?
What book I should read to understand it if I have no previous experience?

Re: how to learn the BUS architecture(PCI, PCI Express, AMBA

Hi sweesw:

You can read the bus spec which you wanna study, and you will know

what the Master, Slave and something like this meaning!

wang1

if you know nothing about pci, then the spec may be a little too difficult to understand. start with mindshare books. they have books both on pci-x and pci express. There books also include a tutorial cd to make it easier to understand the standard.

Hi
sweesw!
I think you should read the spec first,and there's a
very good book <pci system architecture> that will
help you very well!
zhpy

Hi, to start bus architecture...i think mindshares books are very good..they have complite explanation

Actually, it sounds like OP needs to learn the basics of computer IO subsystems. You should probably read a Computer Organization book and only then go on to the mindshare books.

Actually , for AMBA system bus study, the best way is read its spec that you can download from the arm website.

The protocol of the bus is important . if you know the protocol . you can understand the architecture.

AMBA, CAN and USB specs are readable for novice too but PCI and PCMCIA are little too abstruse.

Nothing, just try it.
do your first project, not reading the protcol but
the impement is more helpful.

First, you must have a good book.
second, work hard
third try to implement
that's all

First you should know the BUS protocol

then try apply implement in practice

Hi,
You can read the AMBA spec and download the Leon source code to see the AMBA bus timing diagram. Maybe you can have a better understanding agout bus.

go thru
www.einfochips.com
they have designed PCI in ASIC... it may be helpful to u

There are various ways one can learn Protocol soon ..quickly.
Best way is by sharing talks with person who is familar to the protocol. You can also download lots n lots of presentation material on above mentioned protocols and go through them. See reading a protocol is quite different from deriving a microarchitecture to design one.

Its basically you interprete english language to create an hardware.

All the best,
keep posting!
Gold_kiss

no other methods, please read specification carefully.

best regards

sweesw said:
I know nothing about how a bus transaction is handled.
I wish to learn it from scatch, for example, what means master, what means slave, etc.
Could anyone share some ideas what and where I can start with?
What book I should read to understand it if I have no previous experience?

Its important to learn about memories, if started with computer architecture then there would be good understanding from the specs, else it would be slightly difficult to start on directly reading the specs.

PCI and USB are easy to read as mindshare books gives a good understading about the protocol,
About AMBA there is no direct book, the only source is ARM AMBA specs(2.0), and even parallelly studying SOC architecture for that would be feasible to understand.

Regards
raghu

i recommend the book <pci system architecture>
for pci

can anyone tell the link in teh board to download books on pci. once i saw but since i dont have points i didnt download

At EDA books upload/download section give a serach with the key words pci, u will find all the docs and books related to pci

regards
Raghu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back