Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to upload files to Opencores

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have created a project on Opencores 4 years ago. Later they changed their server and things work differently.
I have now a new version of my IP core that I want to upload there. The web-upload only allows for doc/pdf/jpeg files.
My new code is not fully compatible with the old one, basically the old one runs on Xilinx and the new one runs on Actel FPGAs. This way I need to keep both versions on the website. I sent a message to them but they didnt reply.
The opencores FAQ mentiones SVN to upload to be used. I think SVN assumes that a new file is a replacement for old files, so the opencores FAQ doesnt explain how to "add more files" instead of "committing changes". I just dont want to learn how to use this strange thing. Its for software oriented people, but Im a 100% hardware guy, I keep my design files in zipped folders and use sodering iron instead of PHP or command-line...

So, whats the easy way to put my new source files in a zip file to the OpenCores project page?

Im also working on a new project, and if that starts working I want to create a new Opencores project for that one as well. So I would really need a way to stick my files onto their website.

The easy way to put new source file (in a zip or otherwise) to opencores is with a svn client. :p Personally I'd give it a go, it's totally easy.

Besides, svn is not just for software people. You can use it perfectly well for your hdl.

I use it for my verilog based projects. You can keep a log of the changes you make to your files. And what's important, if you have a known-to-work combination of project files you can store these file revisions with a specific svn tag. Sort of label it as "hey, when you pick these specific files, it works", together with a description. Then after you mess up some files it is easy to revert back to this previous known-to-work state. AND, you can easily check what the differences are between the current code and the code in that particular working svn revision.

You can sort-of do this by maintaining 3498345 .zip files with snapshots of your project, but that doesn't come even close to the usefulness of svn IMO.

That is the good news. And the bad news? The vendor tools are suboptimal with respect to supporting this, so you have to do it yourself. But well worth it.

If you want your stuff on opencores, just install **broken link removed** and upload it. I'm assuming you work in windows... For linux it's even easier.

hi

thanks.
could you give me an exact example for the "http://opencores.org/ocsvn/openrisc/...c/trunk/or1000" ?
I mean the usual problem with these kind of command type programs is how to figure out the "..."-part in the above link.

if you move your mouse over the link (green text) that yanzixuan posted, you have the complete address.
Your username/password are then enough to access the folder.

to answer the second question, send a message to the owner (webmaster) of opencores. He doesn't bite.

so, what do i do to add a new file?
what do i do to add a new version of an existing file?

if you want to add a new file to an existing project ...

svn checkout project ; now you have a local copy of the project, complete with .svn information

put the new file at right location relative to project directory

svn add new_file

svn commit

and you're done

---

also, I can't read

You asked new version of existing file.

svn checkout project ; now you have a local copy of the project, complete with .svn information

overwrite old file with new file, in the local copy you just got after checkout; make sure to add some useful log comments

svn commit

and you're done

Last edited:
Reactions: buenos

buenos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
so, what do i do to add a new file?
what do i do to add a new version of an existing file?

I forgot that the system will convert the address to link.
enter the address with checkout:
Code:
http://opencores.org/ocsvn/openrisc/openrisc/trunk/or1000
if you success, then the folder will get the latest data from server.
so you add your files, set the "add" attribute, then click "comment".
For getting more info, you can read the user guide of the software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back