Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Counter and Latch Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

syee10

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suppose i have a frequency and i want to count it by using a decade counter, latch, BCD to 7 segment decoder and finally display the count on 7 segment display.
Theoretically if my input frequency to the decade counter is 1Hz, it will count 1 in 1s and if 10Hz, it will count 10 in 1s.
My question is, what will be the frequency of my latch if i want to make the counter count 1 for 1Hz and it count 10 for 10Hz in 1s? Will the frequency of my latch affect the counter? If yes, how to calculate the frequency into my latch?

syee10,
I am not sure why you would use a latch. I think the latch should be replaced by a mux, to just connect the output of the first decade counter into the decoder chain or to put another decade counter in series with the first one and feed it's output down the decoder chain. This way you will get a one second count for both 1Hz and 10Hz.

Hope that helps some
Sckoarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back