Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Potentiometers for High Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwyrwas

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high current digital potentiometer

Hello. I'm trying to replace a simple current divider circuit which uses a manual potentiometer with one that can be computer controlled. This will be attached to a line from a current-controlled power supply which puts out maximum 1 ampere (but is usually run at about .35 Amperes. A not mA) I've been trying to research digital potentiometers but need to find one which will allow me to put such a large current through its wiper. Are there any suggestions out there for a supplier?

high current potentiometer

All of the ones I have seen do not handle this current level. You have two options.

The cheapest is to make two current source outputs from your supply and digitally control the current values.

An expensive way is to use a string of power resistors and power MOSFETs to make your own digital pot.

high power digital potentiometer

flatulent said:
The cheapest is to make two current source outputs from your supply and digitally control the current values.

Yeah, I might have to build my own from mosfets. What I'm trying to do is make a control circuity for 16 helmholtz coils. To control the current to each, instead of putting each on their own power supply, several are on one supply set to the max current needed, while the amount going through each individually is limited by a pot, the current recombines at the end, and we control how much goes through the second, etc.

digital potentiometer current source

control a high current mosfet (heatsink probably not optional) with an opamp so that the resistance of the mosfet must be proportional to that of the digital pot for the opamp to be balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.