Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Generating a PPS from FTDI FT2232H Mini Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klen

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

I am relatively new to the engineering field and have virtually no prior practical experience nor knowledge. Hence, please bear with me if my question seems too trivial or makes little sense.

I have been asked to generate a Pulse per second (PPS) signal from an FTDI FT2232H Mini Module. The programming has to be done in Visual Basic (C++ or C#).

One probable solution which I think could work is something like:
FTDI Clock = 30 Mhz = 3,000,000 cycles per second
If Baud = 100, => 10 ms = 300,000 cycles.

Default Value: PPS = 0; counter = 1;

if rising_edge (FTDI_CLK)
if (counter > x) /* x can be changed for a different duty cyle. For eg: x = 3 will give a rise time of 30 ms to the PPS. */
PPS = 0;
if counter == 300,000
counter = 1;
PPS = 1;
else
counter++;
Unless I have gotten the whole concept wrong, the above code should be logically correct. But even then, I am at a loss as to how to detect the rising edge of the FTDI clock (which again I am only assuming has a clock of 30MHz).

I am not looking for a complete solution but a nudge towars the positive direction would be very highly appreciated.
(Also, I apologise if the question does not belong in this forum. Please let me know and I will move it immediately)

Best Regards and Thanks in advance
Klen

Last edited:

Any type of help will be very useful right now.....its very urgent! I am as lost as one can be!
Firstly, I am not able to locate a clock on the FTDI from which I can generate a PPS signal. I am looking at some timer/counter possibilities, but I am not getting very far either. Any suggestion as to how to generate pulses per second without a reference clock???

Sorry for the trouble
Klen

Closing the thread as I finally managed to do it :)
Feel free to let me know if anyone faces the same problem and if I could be of any assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back