Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10/100 to Gigabit conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

embeddedlover

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a processor with 10/100 ethernet interface.
I want to convert to 1000 (Gigabit)...
Are there any is avaialble for converting 10/100 to Gigabit?
It means finally my PHY will be sending data @ Gigabit speed

Please suggest me a solution....

It seems like a completely useless effort. The transmission speed will be defined by the throughput of the 100 MBit interface (at best). Why converting to 1GBit?

Infact it is useless effort.... but we don't have any other way for know.
Already processor is fixed and we can't change it. It has 10/100 interface, we wanted a gigabit ethernet interface, so, no way out...:-(

This is not possible with the processor built-in 10/100 Ethernet MAC, which probably provides MII interface. You can connect a GB PHY with GMII interface, since it is down-compatible, but then the PHY will run only at 10/100.
Maybe your processor has USB port, then you can use an external Ethernet controller like **broken link removed**

It may add up a lot to my BOM if i use an external ethernet controller...

In addition, it's doubful if it will bring any throughput enhancement to your design. I didn't hear yet an understandable motivation for adding a GBit interface, except that "you want it".

I can imagine, that someone may want to expose a Gigabit interface with his product to promise higher performance. But if the processor can't manage it, it's a pure fake.

The linked IC is a All-In-One-solution, which requires only a crystal. So -compared to the PHY- the BOM will not be increased significant. The only effect may be the calculated price of the BOM, and more SW development as you have to implement the USB framework.
But imho this is the only solution to get a GB interface speed.
I can imagine, that someone may want to expose a Gigabit interface with his product to promise higher performance. But if the processor can't manage it, it's a pure fake.
Full Aggreement. Baudrate is not the same as Bandwidth.

Rho-bot, as you mentioned we needed a quick solution rather than increasing the software complexity....

FvM, I have to receive at 1G and process it...my processor is limted, Ya there is neither performance enhancement nor feature addition, only thing is we want to make the system compatible.

we want to make the system compatible
Popular 1GBit ethernet interfaces are downward compatible to 10/100 MBit, I think. I haven't seen a 1GBit-only interface during the last years with any commercial product.

dharanidhar, just to have the right understanding what you are looking for:
- a quick solution with no SW effort
- MAC (CPU) is fixed at 10/100Mb
- PHY must run at 1Gb baudrate
- downward compatibility mode of Gb PHY is not acceptable
- Bandwidth is not relevant
Although IMHO this makes no sense, the only solution I see is to use a Gb Switch with integrated PHY interface, something like this
Cheaper solutions with less ports may be Realtek RTL8363S or Marvell 88E6045
Good luck!

By compatibility i mean....my system configuration and I/O requirements...

rho-bot, those were the exact requirements...thank you for your suggestion

By compatibility i mean....my system configuration and I/O requirements...
You're free to specify arbitrary requirements, of course. But they don't sound reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back