Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Torque and control with IR2130

Status
Not open for further replies.

losturcos

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

How can I control the torque of the motor and speed of it with a IR2130 used circuit. Can you give information or a source to read other than the IR application note.

Thanks.

do you have a circuit you can post? is the motor DC motor or AC? what is the power level & applied voltage?

generally speaking, motor control is done through power electronic means. the topology for the circuit is called an "H-bridge" with "PWM control". this works for both DC and AC motors. google search these topics and then come back if you have more questions.

Mr.Cool

The motor asynchronous 3-phase AC motor. Supply voltage is 60 VDC.
We are driving H-bridge with IR2130 ic and are driving IR2130 with PWM,
applying these inputs,

H1-L1: 000110111111111110110001000000000001
H2-L2: 000000000010001101111111111101100010
H3-L3: 111101100010000000000010001101111111

to produce 3 phase. We give these inputs period for 3 times in a second, so it is 3Hz.
Thus the time between every pulse, the time gap is 1sec/3/36.

The thing I wonder is, how can I change the speed and torque of the motor. The driven bridge MOSFETs are IRF150.

Thank you.

IR2130 IC is just the driver ic for driving low and high side of the bridge
this IC nothing to do with Torque and speed.
a complex drive signal define the output voltage and frequency thus torque and speed of the motor.
for detail you can get idea from microchip website by application
note driving AC induction motor by using PIC18F452 micro controller.
they have given a complete introduction, circuit diagram and software
and many more design.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your reply, it is very helpful.
I want to ask one more thing, I have an inverter, produced by someone else, driven by IR2130 which is driven by a pic microcontroller. I changed the pic on the device, I placed the pic programmed by me. I am giving the input signals to IR2130 as I specified at my previous msg. I succeeded to motor to run, but under my program the motor runs slower than its original program.
You say IR2130 has nothing to do with Torque and speed, so what can be the reason of this slow speed?
Thank you.

Its rather dificult to explain, you can cosider that 3 driving signals are fed to the
driver ICs, and other arm of the bridges are axect compliment of these signal.
every signal out of six is a complex pulse train. which always changes for its.
duration, say 10 mili second time (for 50 Hz AC out put).
every signal is ment to do three jobs.
1. it should be in such a way the resultant current should be sine wave.
2. It is reponsible to Frequency of out put.( which effect RPM of the motor.)
3. It is responsible for output voltage (Torque of the motor).

normaly we are only controlling the frequency but voltage are produce and corrected by a pre defined Ratio as Vf=4 means when you are at 50 hz producing 200 Volts, or if you are producing 70 Hz , you are producing 280 volts.
In some inverter this is can be adjusted by software.
how power is controlled it is normally PWM control. more on time less off time of the pulse more power in the output, vise versa less on time more off time .
less power int out put.
frequency depends on timming one pwm pulse train time. as I mention before if
this ome pulse "train" time is 10 mili sec 50 Hz out put if it is less frequency will be high, if is more frequency will be less.
There is also some more factor "Dead" time for the one arm of the bridge and
high and Low.
and also 3rd harmonic addition to boost the power.
I dont have some osillograph wave shaps picture to explain it may be some body should send these picture to explain it further.

Thanks, and another question :),
I have mentioned about the pattern of PIC outputs (or IR2130 inputs) at a previous message.
I changed the pattern as below:

H1-L1: 111111111111000000000000000000000000
H2-L2: 000000000000111111111111000000000000
H3-L3: 000000000000000000000000111111111111

When I apply this pattern, the motor worked more unsmoothly maybe a little slower;
Then I tried this:

H1-L1: 111111111111111111000000000000000000
H2-L2: 000000000000111111111111111111000000
H3-L3: 111111000000000000000000111111111111

and when I applied this pattern, faster and maybe a little smoother than previous one.
As you mentioned in your post, as far as I understood, we cannot change the torque,
because our voltage supply is 60 VDC, but I think small changes on speed happens by
changing the input pattern to IR2130. How can I make the speed more smooth and fast
(maybe a little sinusoidal)? I mean what kind of pattern can help me?
Note: The original program makes it smoother and faster than mine.
Note2: The patterns I mentioned above is a period which is applied 3 times in one second.
Maybe changing the frequency may help something, I should try it in the morning :).

Thanks for helps.

Synchronous switching patterns as presented in your post would be normally used at very high motor speeds of several 1000 Hz rotational frequency, where PWM doesn't give no more good results. Only the third one, which represents fundamental switching, seems completely reasonable to me. For smooth operation, I would generally change to pwm.

Effective motor voltage respectively torque will be somewhat lower in pwm than with the third waveform. There's no chance to increase it further without increasing the dc supply voltage to the inverter. Speed can be increased by increasing the inverter frequency, the available torque will be reduced however,

I tried the third pattern and increased the output frequency from 3Hz to 10Hz, I started the device.
And when the program started to run the motor, the serial fuse to 60V DC-link is cut, a device
which is probably power switching device, is burnt. The power device is IRF150N. What can be the reason?

Edit: Yes, two of IRF150N are burnt.

Last edited:

Hard to decide without knowing how the circuit is built.

After a long time, I want to ask another question.
I am driving motor with IR2130 and the bridge. And for the sensing the overload,
IR2130 gets a feedback from the low side mosfets to its internal opamp and the output of the opamp is used to check if there is overload. In fact IR2130 has a fault input, but we think to sense it with the microcontroller adc feature.
But the current coming from the low side mosfets can change with motor power and efficiency. What way can you advice me to sense the overload?
Thanks.

But the current coming from the low side mosfets can change with motor power and efficiency. What way can you advice me to sense the overload?
There are two levels of indirection:
- the current in the low side FETs is corresponding to the motor currents multiplied with a PWM factor. You can however process the instantaneous values and get the motor current directly.
- the motor current of an AC motor is a vectorial sum of a torque generating real current and a magnetization generating reactant current. So it's magnitude isn't directly related to torque. But you can define a limit value which is recognized as overload based on a rough estimation. For an exact relation of motor current magnitude and phase to mechanical quantities like torque and rotational speed, you have to apply a motor model. Modern VFD inverters are capable of.

Hello,
I have another question about this overcurrent protection issue. I want to get rid of this variable resistor in the circuit. In fact I dont want the product user to touch the circuit for configuration. Variable power and variable efficiency machines will be driven by the circuit, and we must configure the value of the variable resistor. I am looking for a way to make it automated without the variable resistor.
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

With industrial motor inverters, overcurrent protection is always a configurable parameter. You can assume, that's mostly achieved in software, by comparing current measurements against programmable limits. If are preferring a hardware based current limits, you can use, digital potentiometers or DACs to set them.

Thanks,
I dont want to use the potentiometer, what can be a solution? For eg.
While firstly installing my controller, the user shall run the motor by my controller to get the normal values from the low side return of mosfets over the sensing res, so I will have the normal motor running parameters. If the returning values are some over these values, I will accept it as overcurrent. Is this a valid way, or do you have advices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back