Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Cloning" an FPGA from a closed supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokko

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
My company is facing a serious problem, we have an important module that is supplied from outside using an ALTERA FLEX6000

The model number is
"EPF6024AQC208-3"

Unfortunately, the supplier was closed recently, and we are now running out of spare modules. Concurrently when we are now seeking for legal consultations, since the module's IP was partly held by our company. I would like to ask is it possible to do the clone actually?

It is a while since I used the Flex 6000 but I seem to remember they are SRAM based and the programming is normally done with an EEPROM. If that is the case, it should be easy to duplicate - the data is not encrypted. It could be loaded from a device such as a microcontroller instead, which would be more tricky as that could be code protected. If you have the circuit diagram or a physical board, look for a small 8 pin EEPROM next to the Flex 6000. There would most likely be a JTAG programming connector as well.

Keith

Reactions: lokko

lokko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It is a while since I used the Flex 6000 but I seem to remember they are SRAM based and the programming is normally done with an EEPROM. If that is the case, it should be easy to duplicate - the data is not encrypted. It could be loaded from a device such as a microcontroller instead, which would be more tricky as that could be code protected. If you have the circuit diagram or a physical board, look for a small 8 pin EEPROM next to the Flex 6000. There would most likely be a JTAG programming connector as well.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I ve found an ALTERA EPC2LC20.
Since Flex6000 is SRAM based, does it mean there should be 'nth' inside the Flex6000 that I need to retrieve?

Also, It seems that there is no MCU on the board for encryption, thank you.

You should be fine - just copy the EPC2LC20. Nothing is permanently stored in the Flex 6000. Is there a JTAG connector? If not I assume the EEPROM is programmed before fitting to the board.

Keith

Reactions: lokko

lokko

Yes, there is a JTAG connector as you mentioned.
Thank you so much for your great help~~~
So only thing I have to do is to copy the EEPROM, am i right?

Correct.

As I said, it is a while since I used the Flex 6k but I think you should be able to read the EEPROM on your existing board through the JTAG. I used to use the Altera Byteblaster to do that but there will be a newer low cost programmer from Altera I would think (USB based maybe).

Keith

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 ----------

USB Blaster is probably what you need:

Download Cables

Keith

Reactions: baburs

baburs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com