Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VNC2 USBSlave use for RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHG

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I'm trying to use FTDI's Vinculum II to implement a USBSlave to RS232 interface. I know that there are al lot of other ways (other than a VNC2) to realise this but i have to use the VNC2.

I'm trying to use the firmware for the USBSlavetoFT232 sample program to create the RS232 conenction by opening the UART device and using the vos_dev_read and vos_dev_write commands to acces the UART and send it to my pc using RS232. However, it doesn't seem to work.

I have no clue what the FT232 driver does and if it already uses the uart, does anybody know this? Has anyone tried creating this sort of interface with the VNC2 or VNC1?

Lastly i was wondering if anyone knows a book or tutorial document for the VNC2which uses a usbslave as example, preferably not one by FTDI for I find their documentation about the VNC2 to be verry poor.

Many Thanks,

Greets,
Roel

Hello all,
I have no clue what the FT232 driver does and if it already uses the uart, does anybody know this? Has anyone tried creating this sort of interface with the VNC2 or VNC1?

Lastly i was wondering if anyone knows a book or tutorial document for the VNC2which uses a usbslave as example, preferably not one by FTDI for I find their documentation about the VNC2 to be verry poor.

Many Thanks,

Greets,
Roel

Roel,

I was successful in getting the FTDI sample FT232 driver to run, although my linux host complained about some unimplemented commands.

I have had some luck debugging the VNC2 using FTDI's in-circuit debugger. Have you given that a try?

Regards,
Josh

My problem starts with your terminology. What's an USB slave? USB specifications knows hosts and devices. Do you mean a device function?

I'M not familiar with VNC2. Can you briefly tell, what's the purpose of the USBSlavetoFT232 sample? FT232 itself is a hardware USB-to RS232 bridge device made by FTDI. So what is the function of USBSlavetoFT232?

My problem starts with your terminology. What's an USB slave? USB specifications knows hosts and devices. Do you mean a device function?

I'M not familiar with VNC2. Can you briefly tell, what's the purpose of the USBSlavetoFT232 sample? FT232 itself is a hardware USB-to RS232 bridge device made by FTDI. So what is the function of USBSlavetoFT232?

FTDI makes the VNC2 series of microcontrollers with embedded USB host and device controllers. Vinculum II

In FTDI's firmware, USBSlave is the software which provides the USB device interface.

The USBSlavetoFT232 "driver" is a software implementation of the FT232 interface. Nominally you use it to emulate an FT232.

Granted, I have no real idea what problem Roel was having at this point.

Regards,
Josh

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back