Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bode plot doesn't look as expected for circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - I was trying to analyze a band pass filter, but the results I'm getting don't make sense to me.

I've attached the simulation.

I first solved for the transfer function of it. It looks like a simple voltage divider - so:

Vout/Vin = R / (R + SL + 1/(SC)) = RSC / (RSC + S^2LC + 1)

So I have a zero at the origin, and poles at (R/(2L)) +/- (1/(2L)) * (R^2 - 4L/C)^0.5. I chose values for R, L, and C so that both the poles are at R/(2L), which in this case is 796Hz.

My understanding is that the zero at the origin gives me +20db/decade starting at w = 1. The two poles at 796 hz should give me -40db/decade starting at 796Hz, before 796Hz it should give me 0db/decade.

But that isn't what I'm seeing. What I'm seeing looks more like I have a zero just before my poles. In fact, the zero at the origin looks a whole lot like the high pass filter that is produced if I short out the inductor (zero at 400Hz).

I just can't seem to figure out what is going on here. My math says one thing but the graph says another.

Attachments

• Bode Problem.jpg
    Bode Problem.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 128

Hi!

I don't see any problem with the simulator. With the zero @ the origin, you are getting +20 dB/dec starting from -oo in log w because the zero is @ w=0. A zero @ w=0 in TF does not imply 0 dB gain or flat gain, for that matter. Only after the poles @ w = 2*pi*796. you are supposed to be getting +20-40 = -40 dB/dec. This makes sense because what u have there is an idealized 2nd order bandpass filter.

My math says one thing but the graph says another.

1.) I think "your math" tells you something wrong. A 2nd order bandpass never has a gain drop of 40dB/dec.
2.) I don't think that your values arrive at a double pole at 796 Hz. Recalculate!
3.) Correction to 993066935: +20-40 = -20 dB/dec

My math says one thing but the graph says another.

1.) I think "your math" tells you something wrong. A 2nd order bandpass never has a gain drop of 40dB/dec.
2.) I don't think that your values arrive at a double pole at 796 Hz. Recalculate!
3.) Correction to 993066935: +20-40 = -20 dB/dec

1. I agree - I'm expecting +20dB from the zero and -40dB from the poles.
2. R/(2L) = 1K/ (2 * 100m) = 5000 rad/sec = 796Hz
3. Agreed.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Hi!

I don't see any problem with the simulator. With the zero @ the origin, you are getting +20 dB/dec starting from -oo in log w because the zero is @ w=0. A zero @ w=0 in TF does not imply 0 dB gain or flat gain, for that matter. Only after the poles @ w = 2*pi*796. you are supposed to be getting +20-40 = -40 dB/dec. This makes sense because what u have there is an idealized 2nd order bandpass filter.

What do you mean I get +20dB/dec starting at -infinity? I mean, how does one draw that? I thought it was +20db starting at 0?

Thanks, typo.
log(0) -> -infinity You don't draw w=0 in bode plot.

I think I have found my mistake. I was forgetting to calculate in the constant gain of the circuit. Since I had a "RSC" term in the numerator, that contributes a (20*log(R*C)) = -68db constant term. The zero at the origin contributes a +20db/dec term that crosses 0db at w = 1.

The bode plot now matches what I expect!

2. R/(2L) = 1K/ (2 * 100m) = 5000 rad/sec = 796Hz

That's only the REAL part of the pole (however, you neglected the minus sign); what about the imaginary part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back