Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium issue: Placing net name

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloke203

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All

I know how to place net and its name. But I want to make it efficient. What is happened? When I rujn a wire from pin 1 or 2 of IC and left it unconnected to the other end. Then, I place a PORT to the other end and named the PORT say "XYZ".

Do I need to place a explicitly go again to the (PLAce--NET) and point it to the wire for "XYZ"? Becoz when I hover over the wire, it does not show "XYZ" until I go again to PLace -- Net label

It seems that doing extra effort for similar thing. I have to send the netlist to the PCB layout and I need to assign specifically to collaborate with them.

Thanks

Regards

Bloke203

even if you provide net label only it will connect nets with same net label you do not have to provide port for that

I am placing port just for the readability. The question is that if I place a port and give a name, why shouldn't it become a default net name and become visible to it?

Thanks

What I have understand of ports in Altium is that they are used for hierachicl connections to top sheet.
If you do not want to use net label than you can to use off page connector(exact name I do not remember but it looks like "->>" and "<<-").

What I have understand of ports in Altium is that they are used for hierachicl connections to top sheet.

This depends on whether the project is set up hierarchically or not. A top sheet is not a requirement. If a top sheet is not used, ports can be used to connect from a schematic sheet to any other sheet.

You are correct though that Altium expects you to use net labels for on-sheet connections. The symbol that looks like "->>" is called an off-sheet connector. I don't think it really solves the original question.

I find it myself. It is under the Project --> Project Options --> Options Tab. there is need to TICK the box named "Allow Ports to name nets".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back