Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

display an image on monitor through vga interface in spartan 3E

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodahussein

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all

i have spartan 3E fpga starter kit , and i created Block RAM and its data represent the value of image, this BRAM has data with 8bit and has depth 3000 word. I want to display this data of (image ) on monitor

can anyone help me for importance
wait your help

Isthis data or an image, because if it is image, then you just need a simple vga contrller that you can find on OpenCores, otherwise, you need to implement some kind of data to hex to gif converter or use another type of driver for the display,
Check this out you may find it useful:
Image from DDR to VGA - Spartan3E kit - Xilinx User Community Forums

dear all

let me explain again my problem
i have an image stored in block ram in spartan 3e fpga and this image repersented in binary form. each pxel represent in 8 bit width (*** scale) and i want to display it on monitor.
i have spartan 3e starter kit and the VGA connector connect directly to fpga chip .The Spartan-3E FPGA directly drives the five VGA signals. Each color line has
a series resistor, with one bit each for VGA_RED, VGA_GREEN, and VGA_BLUE, so how i can display 8bit through 3bit--->rgb?

wait your help
regards

you will need a vga controller. As has been previously stated, you can get one from opencores.org.

If you can use NxN square pixel area as one pixel, you can create more colors.
I mean that:
I assume your image data has not more than 3000 words (i.e frame is not more than 3000 pixels). I don't know the aspect ratio of your image, I assume 4:3. Than 64x48 = 3072 is enough for you. So you can use 10x10 pixel area as a pixel for your image. In a 10x10 pixel area, you can display more than 3 bits.

If you can remember the paint in windows 3.1, this is the way paint generates colors. Red grid with blue dots inside. If you increase the blue level, it becomes red-blue checker-board. If you increase blue further, it becomes blue grid with red dots inside etc...

Dincay Akcoren

Your data is 8 bits, which means you have 256 colors, you need a color conversion memory map to convert this to a 3 bits RGB data or you can do a trick, add 2 extra lines to your VGA outputs.

dear all
thanks for reply ,as i mentioned before i have image each pixel represented by 8bit (gray scale) i want to display it, how i can i use the method of NxN pixel?
and in case add 2 extra lines to your VGA outputs, how i can do that? i need for more information

wait you reply
regards

Well, what I said that you can create more than 8 colors. However I don't know how to map them to 8 bit gray scale colors.

For example blue and green makes cyan. If you want more greenish cyan and you have 5x5 pixels as one pixel of your image you can use the following (C shows cyan pixel, G shows green pixel)
CCCCC
CGCGC
CCCCC
CGCGC
CCCCC

If you want more more greenish cyan you can increase the green concentration in cyan. With this method you can create more than 8 colors. But as I said before mapping these colors to a greyscale palette is a different issue.

Hope this helps.

Dincay Akcoren

dear dincay

thanks for reply
you said , i can use NxN pixel as one pixel , so on what basis i can determine the color degree of this pixel (according to what i can determine the pixel color)
- can you tell me what is name of method , any reference for it

wait your reply
regards

It just comes to my mind when I think how can I generate more than 8 colors by using only 3 bits?
I don't know any reference to this nor any idea about how someone can map the colors.

Dincay Akcoren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back