Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] microstrip transmision line ( 50ohm) lenght does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfmona

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello you guys

i got a quick question, I’m designing a microstrip patch antenna with eadge feed, I used a quarter wave transformer to match the 50 ohm transmission line to the antenna, so far so good, now there is 2 transmission lines the quarter wave line and the 50 ohm line, the length of the 50 ohm line matters? Or is it just for soldering the SMA connector?

1) if it does matter can you tell me why and how to calculate it
2) if it doesn’t matter can you tell me why

I calculated the width of the 50 ohm line but I don’t know how to calculate the length, i have read in this forums that it doesn’t matter, but I don’t know if they are actually talking about the same thing.

plz help me on this one this is the last thing that I need to complete my design

Attachments

• Microstrip.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 103

By theory 50 ohm line should not matter.
but for antennas as basically filters, so their impedance is travels open short ( to -fro) so it will never be 50 ohm at the antenna side.
This 50 ohm ohm transfers the load impedance to source impedance and equations are available. So and bandwidth is also affected by this right?

Keep this microstrip in simulation and tweak for more than required.
Hope you will get succeed.

Reactions: dfmona

dfmona

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanx for the fast reply, so let me get thsi straight, it dosnt matter, one just puts that extra microstrip line of 50 ohms so that the lenght of the quarter wave transformer dosnt get affected by soldering the pin head coming from the SMA connector right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back