Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dummies for Resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

krrao

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
Why do we use dummies for Resistors? For poly resistor we use dummies at the ends to avoid poly etching.
Is it necessary to use dummies for N-well resistors also? if yes, then why?
--
warm regards,
krrao.

good question
i dont think N-well resistors have this etching problem.
in what circumstances will you choose N-well res. then?
there is a parasitic capacitance formed between N-well to psub when you use Nwell kind of resistor.

Hi All,
Why do we use dummies for Resistors? For poly resistor we use dummies at the ends to avoid poly etching.
Is it necessary to use dummies for N-well resistors also? if yes, then why?
--
warm regards,
krrao.

Just to clarify, poly resistor dummies are used to ensure that the etch environment for the outside edges of the resistor array is the same as the etch environment between each resistor body. This can be a factor for critical resistors that must be matched to a high degree of precision.

I think you need dummy resistors for diffused resistors as well, to make sure your working devices receive the same diffusion inteactions with their neighbours, as clarified in the book " The art of analog design, 2nd Edition" section 7.2.7. But i think poly resistor are better suited for matchings.

Last edited:

In case you need to match only 2 n-well resistors, I think you need no dummies, if they are adjacent and have the same environment at both their sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back