Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to hook up a piezo electric sensor disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshay_d_2006

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just found out a piezoelectric sensor lying around in my study room. I have no documents with it. I just am figuring out how to hook that small disc in a circuit. As in when i tap it, it should generate voltage. How do i measure the voltage Across the sensor. I mean where do i put the multimeter probes to get a reading.
ty...

Can you post a photo on it?

Connect an oscilloscope to the two leads (assuming it has two).

Keith

Well, I have one like this.
Its very thin. And (I know the pics are not very clear)
But still I'll explain
I have a metallic disc on which is a thin something white (I assume, it is the actual piezo) In the center is written 'M'
And from the center there is something (I dont know if it is even metallic) But that extends towards outside. I think It is a bit clear in the 2nd picture.
Thanks...in advance
Plz help. It is very annoying, not to know such a small thing

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

It is a standard piezo disc on a brass disc with a feedback terminal (the narrow silvered bit on top) for a resonant oscillator. Just connect to the brass disc and the large silvered area. Be careful soldering to the silvered section - quickly is best otherwise you will remove the silvering.

Keith

Thanks a lot Keith Sir.
So I'll have to solder 2 wires each from the brass and the white concentric circles, right?
And you mentioned the feedback--(I assume it is the 2 lines in the silver, as you hinted) what are they for exactly?

The piezo is really a sounder. Rather than driving it at a fixed frequency, the feedback terminal allows it to be driven at resonance where it will be louder.

It can still be used as a sensor. Electronic drums use piezo discs like that.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back