Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test equipment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucephalus

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I couldn't find a forum on test equipment so I will post here.

I'm new to electronics and I recently bought an signal generator for my bench.
I'm reading the manual and it mentions that I have to terminate the coaxial cable into a 50 ohm through-termination.

It really go into details why. When they say terminated, I'm assuming that I don't put it at the signal generator end of the cable? Or do I? Is this required for me to start using this thing?
In particular it states this in the context of wanting to achieve an exact square-shaped signal.

Anybody know about this?

David.

It depends on the signal generator. Usually RF ones produce a sine wave and need to be terminated. Function generators which can produce square waves (and are usually lower frequency) can be either. If it does need terminating then it should be done at the PCB not the signal generator.

What is the signal generator and what frequency are you using it at?

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.