Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AreaIO : what are pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzquarter

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I've read a little about AreaIO in contrast to peripheral IO in the Encounter documentation. Although they say how to use the different types, and mention differences, I didn't find anything on the differences on design impact. I also can't figure out if it is better to get a pre-built AreaIO library, or if it's "easy" to simply modify a peripheral IO library (and potentially making them smaller?).

So my question is two folds : What are the pros and cons of AreaIO, and how can I get one (if I prefer it over peripheral IO), supposing I already have a peripheral IO library (foundary sponsored ARM IOs).

The way I see it, AreaIO should be advantageous for flip chip designs. Instead of routing the bumps to the periphery, the signal would simply fall through vias to the AreaIO structure directly below. The power grid could then have its VDD and GND connections spread out through the entire chip, probably helping control IR drops and such. Is this correct?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back