Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coplanar strip lines length results discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mequitnever

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing a simple asymmetric coplanar strip lines (widths are different for each strip) using Ansoft HFSS v12.

Dimensions and specifications:
Length of strip lines: 20mm
Width of one strip: 2.835mm
Width of other strip: 2mm
Thickness: 0.017mm

Substrate relative permittivity: 2.2 (Rogers TLY-5)
Substrate Thickness: 1.575mm

Radiation Boundary: air

I am using two waveports on either ends of the strips, normalized to 50 ohm.

Goal: to find Z0, characteristic impedances, of strips at the above values.

I am attaching the formula used for theoretical calculations. Theoretically putting the above values in the equation should result in 138 ohm. I have used Matlab to get this results. The formula involves ellipitical integrals.

But when simulate using HFSS v12 and plotting Z parameter (Z21 - real and imaginary), I am getting a spike for the real part, spiking upto 3750 ohm at 6 Ghz
and the imaginary curve spiking up and then down, cutting the zero-line axis at
nearly 6 Ghz. Please see the attached results for full understanding of the results, since picture is a thousand words.

I am also attaching the simulation file so that you can see it for yourself, possibly I dont think I am doing anything wrong or missing anything. If I am, please do let me know.

I do not understand this discrepancy between the HFSS results and theoretical ones from matlab. Any help or explanation will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• coplanar_strip_lines_formula_1961.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 97

I had met a spike of HFSS simulation in another project because I ignored the grounded. When I grounded correctly, the spike disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back