Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I measure the speed of a moving vehicle from within?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Speed measurement

How can I measure the speed of a moving vehicle (from within the vehicle) without putting sensors on the wheels, and not hooking into the car's computer system?

All suggestions velcome... even the odd ones!

ASIC

Re: Speed measurement

I even done a bicycle speed meter.
use a photo sensor in wheel,when whell rolling,sensor can send pulse signal,you only use a frequency to meter it.

Speed measurement

I am just thinking aloud here... What happens if the vehicle was a huge trunk and the wheels got dirty?

ASIC

How about a doppler ultrasonic system pointing at the road?

Hi,

Have you considered using a GPS receiver? It works pretty well measuring speed. However, this approach has some drawbacks: GSPs would have some troubles in urban canyons, under a thick forest or inside buildings.

There are very strong Rare Earth NdFeB magnets - one magnet (1 cm diameter) can hold 50 kg.

https://www.amazingmagnets.com/

I was buying there - two of these magnets exploded in my hands when one was jumping to other from 20 - 30 cm distance.

You can glue such magnet to side of your weel, and read its moving by the coil on chassis.

Speed measurement

the only working solution is doppler microwave radar.
It is easyer than you can imagine, you only need a CW source and a receiving antenna ( cone for example ). Adding source and received signal will give you a frequency in the Hz..kHz domain: easy to manage.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/radar.html

Speed measurement

- Use axis meter to measure acceleration and calculate speed .
- Measure wheel vibration and get the speed
- Use optical method (laser to road )
- Air flow meter (depends on environment wind)

Speed measurement

Doppler microwave radar sounds interesting. I will look at that. Could the radar penetrate i.e. the bottom of the car, if I decided to put it in the car cabin?

ASIC

ASIC said:
Doppler microwave radar sounds interesting. I will look at that. Could the radar penetrate i.e. the bottom of the car, if I decided to put it in the car cabin?

ASIC

Usually microwaves does not penetrate metals. But if the bottom of your car is made of teflon, maybe it will.

/pisoiu

ASIC said:
How can I measure the speed of a moving vehicle (from within the vehicle) without putting sensors on the wheels, and not hooking into the car's computer system?

Hi,

How about taking a look at some police equipment :)

Cheers !

Forget about CW radar,it should point at a certain angle to the road (a narrow beam antenna is needed);the road is not a good radar wave scatterer;the complexity is an issue,too.
If you want an odd idea:
A microphone,when "blown by the wind",creates a noise-like output signal whose voltage is proportional to the wind speed.Drawback:if there is an adverse or a fair wind,the accuracy will be compromised.

but i think the microwave doppler radar is expensive,use the UWB radar is more cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back