Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metal layer and base layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

deba_fire

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I just started learning layout.And I came across these jargons like metal layer tapeout and base layer tape out.I understand about the metal layer where we do interconnections among different cells.But what does base layer mean?And when taping out a chip which layer is taped out first,is there a priority?

Please help me in knowing these terms.If there some sort of tutorial on this please guide me to that.

Thanks everyone

Metal layer tapeout and base layer tape out - never heard of such wording. Tape out includes all production layers, there's no layer priority re. tape out.

Layer numbers could stand for something like priority, but this concerns only the layer representation on a 2D-display: higher layer numbers cover lower layer numbers.

Base layers are the layers which are laid out on silicon substrate. Ex: active layer, NWELL layer, etc. In process base layers are taped out first and then metal layers.

Hi dinesh,

Tape out is the design base delivery to the foundry, so it includes all layers without any priority.
You are right, however, with the timely order of the layers during processing.

Rgds, erikl

You should already have a rough understanding of what metal and base layers are. The key point is that base layers comprise the highest precision masks (read expensive). As such, designers often park redundant circuits that could be activated simply via a metal change.

Ok, understood: With the basic layers' tapeout you create your "personal master chip", with the metal layers' tapeout you may achieve different solutions - or repair the "challenges" from your first shuttle.
Thanks, checkmate!

BTW: The connection layer masks (contact, vias, lower metals) do not rank behind the basic layers concerning precision, and so may be equally expensive.

Hello everyone

Thanks for your replies.

So just to repeat.

Base layers are laid on the Si substrate and the first layer to be taped out to a foundry.I guess since they are the first and on the Si substrate,they must be the costliest.Please comment on this.

Metal layers are the ones on which it is preferred to do changes after the first shuttle tape out.

deba_fire said:
... since they are the first and on the Si substrate, they must be the costliest. Please comment on this.
Not because they "are on the Si substrate", but because with the first tapeout you have to pay for the shuttle order itself (setup cost).

deba_fire said:
Metal layers are the ones on which is preferred to do changes after the first shuttle tape out.
Yes. But of course already the first shuttle also needs a metal layers' tapeout.

Base layers are also called "frontend" layers. Metal layers are the "backend" layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back