Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's better M.S in the USA or M.tech in India in the field of VLSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiran_elec

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which one is good???M.S in US or M.tech in india in the field of VLSI???i am really confused...pls help...From the industry point of view, does M.tech from iits considered equivalent to m.s from any reputed university in us ????

m.s or mtech in vlsi

For VLSI---- MTECH in IIT Bombay Is good.

vere ever u study what you gain is important..

for more industrial explosure joining a good university in US is also good.

try to get the detailed info of the course and about industrial training of any sought given by institute before u join.

MTech in INDIA is good then y to jump abroad when u get enough knowledge here.:D

Re: m.s or mtech in vlsi

Prefer masters in US for the following reasons:
1. Every year US allows 65,000 foreigners to come into US for the purpose of working. 20,000 of work visas are reserved for those who did masters in USA universities.
2. High quality education. Even the 200th ranked college in US is more or less equal to that of an IIT.
3. Assured admission unlike the huge competition in India.
4. Many students save Rs 40,000 per month while they are studying only.
5. During final year, university send you to companies for internship which is a path to get a job in that company.

Prefer masters in India as the fee is very less compared to that in USA. Education in IITs for VLSI is very good. The standards of IITs are going up year after year. IIT Madras has set up research park https://respark.iitm.ac.in/ in the lines of stanford university.

Bad thing is that you won't be paid in dollars after completing your masters in any of the Indianised MNCs. Best you end up working for a salary of 10L per annum. Working for 3 years in India is equal to working for 1 year in US.

If you just look at the standards of education, IITs are very good. If you are looking in long term as what next after Masters then going US is the right option.

The easiest way to enter US is student visa and everything else just wastes your time and lot of luck.

Re: m.s or mtech in vlsi

depends upon whether u want to work in India or US. If you want to work in US then dont think twice. Join for MS in any good US university if u can afford. But if u do an MTech in India u still have good opportunities for Jobs in India. But then going to onsite to US depends upon the company u r working and ur luck :) . Compared to software , VLSI gets very little onsite opportunities. Good luck

Go for M.S in US man............. :)
The same reason as b.tech expert said.........
Regards,
Jerin.

Do a lot of research on the university to which you are planning to go. Since your main interest is VLSI. Which universities in US are you planning to go. Because very few universities do research in VLSI.
So if you are planning to work in US after that, then one important advice.
If you are doing in M.Tech in India (say from IIT Bombay), then for sure you will be placed in one of the top companies through campus interviews.

But if you are doing MS in US, there is no chance that you will get a job after you graduate. There are no campus interviews in US only JOB Fairs and they ****. And you know about H1 visa to students. They don't want to waste money for that. If you don't get a job with in 3 months, then you will be joining in consultancy and get satisfied by a computer job. If you don't like to work in CS field, then you will be tempted do Ph.D.

Believe me, because I am doing my Ph.D in US.
Don't go by statistics as told by btech.expert...He is no expert !!! :)

Mr. sv1437 accepts that because he is unable to compromise on a software job, he got into PhD. PhD scholars in USA are paid $1700 per month which he didn't mention. It clearly shows the opportunities that exist in USA.

Does a similar scenario exist in India? In India there are many VLSI M.Techs who got into software because of lack of jobs.

The competition for GATE to get into IITs is pretty high. Out of 80,000 students writing EC paper in GATE, only 150 candidates get into IITs/IISc. If a person can get into IITB, he will definitely get into a very good US univ.

Even after under going one of the tough competitions like GATE in India average salary of a VLSI engineer passing out of top IITs is 6L per annum with very few candidates getting 8L per annum as maximum pay. Even if you compromise and join a software job, you will not be paid more than 7L per annum in India. Can you compare with 60-70 thousand DOLLARS?

Mr. sv1437 compares a IITB guy who has great caliber with that of a guy who couldn't get admission in good US univ. Its not apple to apple comparison.

Competition is too high in India for getting into Masters as well as getting into job. Finally the pay is not enthusiastic.

I did M.Tech from IIT with top honours and work for INTEL.
Working in Intel India is not same as Intel USA. Every one in India has a US boss.
Most of the jobs in any VLSI company in India are support jobs and not R&D, though they give nice tags like R&D. A person does high quality of research in IIT but not in any of the Indian MNCs. The scenario is reverse in USA.
Most of the top positions of any VLSI company in India are US-returned !!

Its impossible for one to go US without H1B VISA. US companies don't consider to recruit a person who is in India. US govt rules also supports one who did masters from US universities compared to those staying in India.
The scenario is same for every person who does M.Tech in VLSI from India.

A manager with 10 years exp who passed out of IIT will be paid Rs25L in India. But a fresher in US gets $70K. Cost of living in Bangalore is increasing year after year which was once considered to be cheap. 30% tax applies to those earning 20L in India.

Finally, education in IITs is comparable to that of good US universities. But the job opportunities, role played and the growth opportunities are less in India.

What ever you do , do it by thinking twice.
Regards,
Jerin. ;-)

i feel so good to read all the above replies. . as they say the pay in usa is incomparable to that of india. . even i am in the same state of ambiguity whether to do masters from us or any good iit in india. . but after reading all the posts here i feel doing masters from usa is a better option. . thank u all for your valuable suggestions. . i feel gr8 to stick to my old plan of doing masters in vlsi in the usa. .

M.S in USA is good than p.g in India

Hi All,
Inspite of all these, recollect what happened during recession?Most people in US lost their jobs and companies became bankrupt whereas in India, the effects of recession were minimal.

As far as India is concerned the level of job expectation is low as the no: of graduates passing out per year is about 1crore. So if you are interested in studying it will be nice to get an additional qualification with you & it will give you an additonal weightage over others.
Regards,
Jerin. ;-)

hey ppl! all ur posts were v enlightening...thx 4 dat but I had a few qns in my mind...

1. I v heard dat der r some 1 year courses at iisc/iits and attending dese will serve as a value-add
and hence wil fetch u gud chances for a better university in the U S for M S.Does it exist now also..
? Is it really worth it??? If s, how to apply 4 those?

2.Is it really worth duing MS in the US if m planning to come back after working for 3-4 yrs???

3.Somebody(sv1437) above mentioned dat in US after MS placements r not gaurenteed unlike India!!!
I really got confused:shock: Can smbdy plz elaborate dat??????

4.Iv heard no scholarships are given to MS students now-a-days.:-? y is dat?

5.Are VLSI jobs less in number/ tuffer to get???

plzzzzzzz do reply ASAP:-|

Which one is good???M.S in US or M.tech in india in the field of VLSI???i am really confused...pls help...From the industry point of view, does M.tech from iits considered equivalent to m.s from any reputed university in us ????

hi kiran,
iam b.tech graduate 2010 from ECE.presently iam working in the field of RF design .iam in confusion of doing MS /M.TECH in INDIA..I have gained 1 year 6 months of experience in this field..now can i try for MS.does this experience be useful for me while doing MS.Please guide me .iam in a big confusion ..

Regards
RAM.

Hey, I was also looking for M.Tech programs for VLSI in Bangalore itself and those which can give me industry like knowledge than just theoretical, like in the USA. I heard that RV-VLSI Design Center and JSS Institutions are jointly offering M.Tech program in VLSI and Embedded Systems Design. Its in Bangalore itself. I read about it in the papers and online too recently..I believe the VLSI training with industry perspective and industry projects will be handled by RV-VLSI professionals and the rest is handled by JSS faculty. This M.Tech will be more industry oriented than just an academic program, RV-VLSI is anyway know well in the industry for its VLSI training and placements. Check this news article I read in the link below:

RV-VLSI launches Master’s in VLSI: Deccan Herald

I have applied to this M.Tech program. You might want to check the RV-VLSI Design Center website soon to download their application, since the program will start in November itself.

Last edited:

hi every one ...for doing MS in the field of Mictrowave /rf engineering which country I have to opt.i am having 1 year 6 months experience in the field of RF.

I would prefer M.S in US...as the Btech Expert said "The competition for GATE to get into IITs is pretty high. Out of 80,000 students writing EC paper in GATE, only 150 candidates get into IITs/IISc. If a person can get into IITB, he will definitely get into a very good US univ"....But check in for the finest universities in US for your VLSI specialization...

Go ahead..Good Future waiting out there :)

Regards,
Santosh Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back