Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ezpic programmer cannot program (quite a challenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinvicemp06

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I built an ezpic programmer.

[url]https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/83_1200050930.gif [/url]

i'm trying to program the classic 16f84a

i'm using ic-prog since i found a pdf from sunrom technologies with some guides when using ic-prog.

i keep getting the common error when veryfing the code (0000h), hence it's not actually programming. the pic is still blank, when i read it, all i get is 3FFF (blank as you know)

the code protection is disabled. JDM programmer is selected, com 1 is selected as well. i've checked, the serial port is working properly, so is my serial cable.

i've also tried using winpic, yet the same mistake. oh, and yes, the pic was placed correctly.

i was wondering about not enough voltage. so in ic-prog, i used the hardware check, by enabling MCLR, i measure the voltage between pin 1 MCLR and ground, what I got was around 13v. And I believe thats more than enough.

im seriously thinking about switching to a different programmer, or getting a usb programmer like the pickit clone 2.

this is driving me crazy, i'm out of ideas, how about you? help me out! i'm way behind on my project because of this.

You never mentioned on which system you are using this circuit. Wether its a desktop or a laptop? The given cicruit is just a simplest and popular JDM programmer. This circuit will work fine only with a dektop PC with a proper serial port and not when used with a laptop with a USB-serial converter. If you still have problems, re-check your hardware and connections for nay flaws and wrong connections to the device. Cheers

Sorry, I'm using a desktop pc

I'm aware that a usb-serial converter on a laptop doesn't work due to voltage problems.

So that's not it. I found something interesting, so it might be the software.

When I was trying to program, a window opened up, like a folder and it said device:pic16f84a. the window never closed or had anything on it, i mean you could just close it, and whenever i closed it, the whole ic-prog would close.
I'm not sure if that has ever happened to anyone, or what that has to do with programming the device.

Anyway, I tried with "veryfing while programming" instead, like winpic does, and now it never gets anywhere because the first memory position doesn't get programmed.

Help !

Redaing your explanations, looks like the software part is not properly installed or some other program is obstructing the operation of the IC prog. You may download Winpic800 which is freely available and too is fully compatible iwth your said programmer. I remember when i had similar problems with IC prog i switched over to Winpic800 which had solved my problems with JDM. Cheers

As I mentioned before I already tried with winpic800 as well, same result

thats why i'm out of ideas

thanks though :(

Added after 3 minutes:

do i need to add any configuration using winpic800
i mean i already chose JDM programmer and COM1, i didn't change any of the configuration settings, what about those?

Yes..you'll have to set the programmer to JDM and select the appropriate com port name with which it is connected.
Cheers

Check the MCLR voltage after clicking program all. If during programing the voltage goes down to 0V, then you need to set "Invert MCLR" in hardware config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back