Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceramic Resonator Oscillator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElecFence

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to build a oscillator from a ceramic resonator.

I know that a single digital inverter can be used to form a Pierce oscillator (hundreds of data sheets and application notes show that). I want to keep the circuit simpler though, and use only a single transistor. After a ton of searching, I haven't been able to learn much. Everyone circuit I've been able to find either uses an inverter, or is insanely complicated (like making a VCO with tons of features).

I want to make the simplest oscillator possible with a 3 prong (built in capacitors) ceramic resonator and one transistor. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Added after 40 minutes:

OK, after playing around a bit, I finally got a circuit going that seems to oscillate. Here is my design:

MSy0e.png

I came up with this after reading Wikipedia's article on Colpitts oscillators, and after a little trial and error. It works (I verified with an oscilloscope), but I don't know how well (as I don't really understand the circuit).

I'm still very surprised that I haven't been able to find much information on this sort of thing online. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.