Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is the best soldering & desoldering stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the best soldering iron

I just started learning about electronics last year and at the time I bought myself a very cheap soldering iron to start out with. (When I say "cheap," I mean that I gave the clerk a ten-dollar bill and received change back in exchange for the item.) I would like to upgrade, preferably to a complete station, but I am having a slight bit of difficulty with advertising terms.

What confuses me is the connection between temperature and advertised wattage.

From my understanding, it takes a tip temperature of somewhere around 361F (183C) to melt 63/37 solder efficiently. However, a great number of soldering irons and soldering stations, as well, only advertise a wattage rating, some give both, and some only give their temperature. I'm not exactly certain how wattage translates directly into temperature rating.

I realize that electricity moves through the heating element and the resistance causes heat and that the power dissipated can be measured in watts. Am I missing some simple connection? I would think that the two were unconnected, sort of like the marketing scheme of lighbulbs in watts which have nothing to do with their light output (in lumens). It could be assumed, of course, that higher wattage produces more heat (or light), but this is simply not always true. Thermal properties of the substances involved, basic construction, as well as other factors have to be figured in as well.

As an aside, I have noticed soldering stations advertised with tip temperatures adjustable between 350F and 800F, yet their advertised wattage were completely different (42W for one as compared to 80W for the other). I have been told (and read in a number of places online) that twenty-five to thirty-five watts was good enough for electronics work. Yet, I cannot comprehend "good enough." Does that mean that I should not get anything over thirty-five watts for fear of ruining components (which I, once again, would tend to believe has more to do with temperature than actual wattage) or that something with lower wattage simply won't get hot enough? (I should note that I saw some 15W soldering irons with tip temperatures of 600F.)

The only connection that I can somehow attribute from research is in the transfer of heat into the joint itself. Higher wattages would transfer the same amount of heat faster than a lower wattage would for the same temperature. I would think that this would be conducive to better and faster soldering so long as you didn't decide to daydream at the exact moment you decided to solder a joint. This is another reason that I question the 25W to 35W "rule." Shouldn't any soldering tool capable of delivering an appropriate amount of it's 360F+ tip temperature be "good enough?"

In closing, the two soldering stations that I am considering purchasing (the Hakko FP-102 and the **broken link removed**, both comparably priced at 200$ USD and what I have budgeted to spend on a new soldering station) are both well over the 35W recommended for electronics work. I was trying to put together a clearer picture of what I should look at when purchasing my soldering companion for the next number of years.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all in advance...

Edit: I had inadvertently copied the melting point for lead alone. I have now corrected my data to correctly represent "ideal" electronics solder's melting point.

which is thebest soldering station?

ME said:
davorin said:
Just looked up the SP200 from Metcal...

around 450 Euros from distributor...excluding any soldering tip...
so definitively NOT for hobbyists (o;

But remembering tried one many years ago...really leightweight and awesome heatup time...hbut back then we only used bigg-pads through-hole components..so weller was just fine (o;

Wonder why at least a standard tip isn´t included...
I just saw the new Metcal PS-800 for 259 € at a European distibutor, it seems like a better deal for hobbyists. They also use a new tip design for PS-800, which makes the tips cheaper.
Minimal Cost Of Ownership

The PS-800 Soldering System employs replaceable heater tips rather than cartridges, making cost of ownership extremely competitive. The unique two-piece design separates the heater coil from the tip. The long-life heater coil remains in the handle,while replaceable tips are easily removed and replaced. Most importantly,the cost of the heater tips is comparable to that of conventional tips.
If 259 € is still too much I would reccomend Weller. It's cheaper and still good quality.
Don't waste money on Antex allthough it is cheaper than Weller.
After looking closer at JBC and ERSA I wouldn't choose any of them either. I rember using a JBC recently at my friends house and it was poor quality.

That leaves only three choises left:
Metcal
PACE
Weller

Metcal is expensive and it seems Weller makes better solder irons than PACE in the cheap price range, but if you want to spend a little more, some of the more expensive PACE models is also an alternative.

For hobby electronics I would reccomend Weller WTCPT / WTCPTD at the bottom of this page:
www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/well...g Stations&att2=Industrial Soldering Stations
This is the cheapest Industrial Weller solder station with temperature controlled by the tip selection. A ferrormagnetic temperature sensor in the tip controls the tip temperature - no controls are necessary.
Tips available in 3 standard temperature ranges: 600°F, 700°F, and 800°F (316°C, 371°C and 427°C).
If you want it even cheaper you should buy the TC201T Replacement Soldering Pencil for WTCPT Soldering Station without any soldering station and then buy a seperate 1.75A (min.) 24V transformer and put it in a housing with a fuse. This is much cheaper than buying the original Weller solder station / transformer. Many companies choose to do so and that is what I have done at home too. Then you get a very cheap quality solder station.
If you want to have a solder station with manually controlled temperature

TC201T Replacement Soldering Pencil for WTCPT Soldering Station: www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/well...g Stations&att2=Replacement Soldering Pencils
PH1201ESD Iron Stand: www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/well...=1&att_id=WEL011&att1=Accessories&att2=Stands
PT Series tips: www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/well...d=WEL007&att1=Tips and Nozzles&att2=PT Series
Weller Electronic Soldering and Desoldering Tools Catalouge: www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/cf_files/act_download.cfm?type=Literature&filename=550147.pdf

I would never buy any of the Weller Consumer Soldering Stations but would rather stick to the TC201T Industrial Replacement Soldering Pencil and buy a standard 24V 2A tranformer, and a housing with a fuse and a 3 or 5 pin DIN socket to fit the solder iron plug. The Consumer Soldering range is a poor quality compared to TC201T, but TC201T is still cheap enough for hobbyists.
Here is the original Weller schematic, as you can see it is easy to buy your own transformator and build the circuit.
The schematic is taken from this pdf: www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/cf_files/act_download.cfm?type=Parts_Lists&filename=WTCPT_OI_PL.pdf

Is it possible to aply your idea to a (MX) Metcal Soldering Station ?
I'm thinking to buy an MX-RM3E Replacement Rework Handpiece with Cord (~ 100$) and a tip (~40$) !!!
Are their tips working @ 24V too?
Any advice ?

Thanks

hobbyist hot air soldering desoldering

undoubtly WELLER
in our lab we have some 120 and we tried during 20 y different firms, including japanese and US ones

best deal soldering station

Please, compare Leister and Weller prices.

the best soldering station rannk

I'm really suprised that in this forum nobody has ever talked about the
X-KAR
Brand of equipment manufactured by Bokar International
which I think is really efficient and accurate.

I had used several Rework Systems for my company and my
employes have used Bokar units since 8 years and they can tell
you, they had over the years only few small remarks about these tools, which
were usually quickly modified by the manufacturer.

www.bokar.com or commercial site in USA www.bomir.com

I'd like you to compare and to tell me what X-KAR Products do not have in
comparison with its competitors such as Hakko, Pace or Weller and Metcal that everybody is talking about?

We need to get few more systems and your experience could help us.

Re: best soldering iron stations

Hi,
Any one got a manual for the Antex with the sliding temp control -TCSU1 Soldering Station?

I've got a couple of them.

Regards,
Brian.

I tested most of these stations including latest Hakko..

There is no other company that you can compare to JBC, they are superior over all brands including Metcal MX500.
Once turned ON JBC station melt solder in 2 seconds, this is most important factor when working with new lead free & multilayer boards.

For regular everyday soldering any station will work and will last, however, if you solder motherboards or new multilayer boards with lead free JBC is must.

In terms of quality JBC, Ersa, Pace and Metcal are the best, Edsyn as well, these stations last over 10 years even if you use them every day.
Hakko and Weller are good but not close to the stations mentioned above in terms of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back