Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify a dds function generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Rams

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was thinking that it shouldn't be hard to modify a dds function generator to a higher frequency. Buy a low frequency version, tweak the software and modify the filters

Any I right?

For that the digital chips inside should also support the higher frequencies... If it supports that, you might have to change the input clocks as well in addition to all that you mentioned.

I was thinking that it shouldn't be hard to modify a dds function generator to a higher frequency. Buy a low frequency version, tweak the software and modify the filters

Any I right?

Wrong!

A DDS function generator consists of both a digital and an analog circuit, and both have limited bandwidth. Although the maximum allowed frequency is programmed in the software, that limit is imposed to avoid distortion of malfunction from exceding the hardwares maximum capabilities. You can't just change the filters and the software, and expect it to work. It's not like overclocking a CPU!

Besides that tweaking software is not as easy as you migth think. I doubt it is even possible because the software will probably be stored in a ROM memory. And even if it was possible you need to have access to the source code, the compiler and the programmer circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back