Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make an estimate of my filters power consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elyments

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

For a VLSI project I was tasked to design a CMOS sixth order low pass filter in a 0.8u process, i created one using the standard VCVS 2nd order design with matching R and C values to create Butterworth characteristics and then cascading three stages with appropriate gains to make a 6th order filter.

My problem is that i have no idea how to make an estimate of my filters power consumption! I would really appreciate any advice on where to start! I've attached a multisim design of my filter, ive also created it in tanner tools L-Edit.

Thanks in advance,

Elyments

Re: VCVS Low Pass filter

Hi Elyments,

just one question:
Did you simulate your filter already? AC, TRAN and operating point?
I have some doubts because of single supply.

VCVS Low Pass filter

I agree with the previous comment about single supply operation - you are trying to run the circuit at ground potential without dual supplies.

Also, if you cascade three 2pole Butterworth filters you don't end up with a 6 pole Butterworth - you end up with a 6 pole mess. You need to design it as a 6 pole filter.

Keith

Yes, as KEITH has said, you need three stages - each with the same pole frequency, however with different Q values (0.5176, 0.7071 and 1.9318).

VCVS Low Pass filter

Actually, I have just noticed the gain of each stage is different, so my earlier comment is probably not relevant. I assumed from your description that you had cascade three identical sections.

Keith

Big thanks for the fast replies!

Ive simulated it both in Multisim and T-Spice (from the L-Edit layout version) and got the expected cut-off and slope for a 6 pole filter, i used a separate gain for each section; i used given values from a table in the Art of Electronics.

I did'nt think there was anything wrong with the actual filter but i still have no idea how to estimate its power consumption.

Elyments

Elyments,

based on the chosen gain values, you ROUGHLY meet the required pole Q for each stage (for example, the last stage has Qp=2 instead of 1.932).
I don`t know your specification and the associated tolerance requirements.
However, your design - especially the last stage - is VERY sensitive to passive component tolerances (When the gain of the last stage is 2.6 istead of 2.5 the pole Q is 2.5 instead of 2).
This is a known property of the equal component S+K topology.
Perhaps you should reconsider the filter structure.

Elyments

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
VCVS Low Pass filter

For power consumption measurement you need to run a transient analysis and measure the current taken from the supply.

Keith

Elyments

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

LvW, i see what you mean about the sensitivity, i think im going to stick with the design though as i haven't been given any tolerance requirements etc. This is my first shot at filter design and i only really know the SK topology!

Keith, thanks for the info, i'll start looking at performing a transient analysis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back