Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help for eco friendly disposal of ferric chloride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spidyelectronics

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am starting small unit of PCB manufacturing for single layer and two layer. I am using ferric chloride for etching process. So I want to know any suitable way for eco friendly disposal of ferric chloride.
If anyone is doing it or having any idea about it, please help me

Thank you

The main problem with used ferric chloride is the content of biotoxic copper. The problem is common to the disposal of all used
PCB etch compounds. In a short, there's no "eco friendly" disposal. It has to be safely stored in a toxic waste landfill or recycled
in a complex chemical process. The problem is, you can't be sure if a company, that promises a correct disposal doesn't dump
it to the next domestic refuse landfill or elsewhere in the enviroment. This has happened even in Western Europe.

The solution must not be put down the drain because of residual copper ions left in it. To make it safe for disposal, you can add sodium carbonate (washing soda) or sodium hydroxide to it to neutralize it, until the pH value goes up to between 7.0 and 8.0, testing it with indicator paper.

Copper will be deposited as a sludge. Allow the sludge to settle, pour off the liquid, further dilute it with water and then it can be poured down the drain. Collect the sludge in plastic bags and dispose of it as required by your local waste authority.

Ed

Thanks friends for guiding me so well.
I also want to know that what precautions should be take while storing ferric chloride?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back