Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Source Choice -Solar vs Mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastbike

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Voltage Regulation

I have a system which is powered by a 12VDC switch mode PS. This runs 24/7 consuming approx 100 W from the mains.

Modules connected to the system internally use a 7805 to provide a stable internal 5VDC power supply.

I am thinking of installing a solar panel to power the system while the sun is shining. I'm not interested in using a backup battery for dark/cloudy periods.

What possible configurations are there to ensure the mains powered SMPS turns off or throttles back when the solar panel can pickup the load ?

Thanks

Re: Voltage Regulation

If you can ensure that the solar panel (+ pre-regulator) can supply voltage above 12Vdc then the power source selection can be realized with a couple of diodes .. see attached drawing ..

You can also consider adding 3 or 4 diodes to the line-operated PS path, each lowers the voltage by ≈0.7V, so the effective voltage drops from 12V to, say, ≈9Vdc ..

Rgds,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.