Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dynamic mic with laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjpompeo

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dynamic microphone laptop

Hi all,

How do I conect a dynamic microphone in my laptop mic input?

I think that laptop input is for electrect condenser microphone but I need to use a SHURE dynamic microphone instead.

Regards,

Fernando

using a dynamic microphone with a laptop

you may have a single transistor front end powered by the supply on the MIC jack and the input could be dynamic MIC, I suppose. Yes you need to do some interface, but worth it. It amounts to having a preamplifier for the dynamic MIC

can i use a dynamic microphone through laptop

Possibly better idea is use op amp, like lm324 quad, then you could have Equalizer and pre-amp gain controls with a few pots. Unless your mic input is self powered, you would need to add power, not sure how the transistor circuit mentioned above could work - do computer mic inputs generaly provide power?

laptop mic socket dynamic

patweadock said:
Possibly better idea is use op amp, like lm324 quad, then you could have Equalizer and pre-amp gain controls with a few pots. Unless your mic input is self powered, you would need to add power, not sure how the transistor circuit mentioned above could work - do computer mic inputs generaly provide power?
normal desk tops with built-in sound card, have mic socket with battery supply expecting the raw Electret mic as input.
Agreed, but it would be easy to use a standard dynamic MIC preamp, derive the audio at line out standard, and connect it to line in socket directly.....

dynamic microphone preamp lm358

A lousy old LM324 is no good for audio:
1) It is too noisy to be a mic preamp.
2) It is the first low power quad opamp so its output transistors do not have enough bias current so they have horrible crossover distortion of 3%.
3) The bandwidth barely makes it to a few kHz which is not good.

The output level from a dynamic mic is about the same as from an electret mic. Just use a capacitor to stop the bias current that is used for an electret mic.

A TL074 quad opamp is low noise, low distortion and has a bandwidth to 100kHz. It costs the same as an LM324.

lm358 mic pre amp

Audioguru said:
A lousy old LM324 is no good for audio:
1) It is too noisy to be a mic preamp.
2) It is the first low power quad opamp so its output transistors do not have enough bias current so they have horrible crossover distortion of 3%.
3) The bandwidth barely makes it to a few kHz which is not good.

The output level from a dynamic mic is about the same as from an electret mic. Just use a capacitor to stop the bias current that is used for an electret mic.

A TL074 quad opamp is low noise, low distortion and has a bandwidth to 100kHz. It costs the same as an LM324.
Oh!
Dynamic mic direct to mic socket and just a dc blocking capacitor-that is all?
Great Sir,
Thanks. AudioGURU,

Sarma

laptop mic equalizer

Most dynamic mics have a low impedance. The noise from the preamp will be less if it has a fairly low input impedance from transistors instead of from FETs.
Opamps with FETs have low noise when the source impedance is higher like from an electret mic.

dynamic microphone to use on laptop

Very thank you to all tips but were are the schematics??

Regards,

Fernando

bc547 mic preamp sound card

After evaluating different types of preamps for my old Shure SM7 dynamic microphone, I found that the best option is the schematic below.
Instead of BC547 I used BC549C transistors.

can i use dynamic mic with laptop mic input

Apparently I've been operating under the delusion that dynamic mic IS hi impedance, which is why I suggested op amp. I've been plugging my mic into hi Z input of my roland multitrack. Also been using lm324 for anti-aliasing filters on my audio DSP circuits, their freq response work for this, also, they simplify circuitry, I can use same rails as processor voltage. Apparently, I AM a hack!

using dynamic mic on laptop

A dynamic mic is a small speaker with a voice coil that is about 150 ohms and a magnet. Sure it is low impedance. Look in Google for a Shure SM58 dynamic microphone.

An LM324 quad and LM358 dual low power lousy old opamps have a frequency response to 5kHz when their output swing is 13V p-p and to about 2kHz when their output swing is 20V p-p. Higher frequencies are smeared into triangle waves and the levels are reduced because the output cannot slew fast enough.
Maybe the smearing reduces their horrible crossover distortion.

MC34071 single, MC34072 dual and MC34074 quad opamps have a minimum supply of 3V, have no crossover distortion and go to 100kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back