Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In HFSS, why ports need to far away from discontinuity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhasayak

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know it is for high order modes to die out before they reach ports. If they are real, why not include them in sim? Thanks.

Physically, the excitation should just be the fundamental mode, since your cable is very long and high-order modes die out. However, in the simulation the port is modelled by a finite surface with the field distribution of the fundamental mode. There will be unwanted modes excited, but they are not physical.

Hope this helps.

Do you mean ports can excite or accomodate non-physical modes ? is that why transmissio line to DUT should be long enough? Thanks.

lhasayak:

I think it is so that the stray fields from your discontinuity are not picked up in the field port. This would cause numerical error in the S-parameter extraction.

--Max

It is a limitation of Wave ports.
But I think you can use Lumped ports anywhere inside the geometry. More explanation:

Wave ports solve actual field distributions for one or more propagating or non-propagating Modes.

Lumped ports excite a simplified, single-mode field excitation assuming a user-supplied Zo for S-parameter referencing.

Limitation of lumped ports:

Lumped ports excite only one mode, and therefore are not appropriate for excitations where modal superposition is expected.
Since impedance is supplied by the user, not computed, no alternate definitions (Zpi, Zpv, Zvi) are supplied.

More information can be studied in the attached file.

good luck!

Yes, you also have to be careful not to use lumped ports if they could possibly couple to other things near them. Since they are not de-embedded, you should be careful about using them at high frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back