Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine which 12 pin data cable will have bigger loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alqasim

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have two cables , How can i know what are the losses for each? , which is better ?

And what is the maximum length that these cables can support?

Re: 12 pin data cable

This can't be determined without knowing the mode of operation (single-ended/differential) and the signal frequency range.

The LiYCY (TP) has two basic advantages compared to the LiYY: Shielding and twisted pairs. The twisted pair construction results in a defined differential impedance (around 120 ohm) and promises to limit cross talk to a tolerable range.

Loss specifications of twisted pair cables are also given by some cable manufaturers, I think.

attached Mr. FvM , you will find the application that this cable is used for .

can you guide me how to decide the cable.

Best Regards

12 pin data cable

The device is using slow (9600 baud) RS422, it would probably work with the LiYY cable, but the twisted pair, screened LiYCYtp is more reliable. With termination resistors at the receiver, the serial data transmission can work for several km length, if necessary. The GPS timing pulse output would suffer from some additional uncertainty with a long cable (if it is used in the application).

can you Mr. FvM decide what are the missing informations that we need to know to decide what is the maximum tall that this cable can support.

other thing, i want from you to explain what you said last time
This can't be determined without knowing the mode of operation (single-ended/differential)

and what is the mode for RS-422

best regard

12 pin data cable

RS 422 is differential and can be transmitted over twisted pair without extensive crosstalk. I'm no GPS expert (I just have been displaying NEMA code from a GARMIN handheld, once). I didn't yet understand, if you want to transmit the serial data stream only or also use the PPS output and which timing resolution you intend. Which cable length will be needed in your application at maximum?

P.S.: From the Acutime datasheet I understand, that the supplied interface cable is basically similar to your shielded twisted pair. If the power supply is through the interface cable, the DC resistance respectively the wire gauge also matters.

What i understood - from the discussion above - is the following:

to choose data cable we have to take in the consideration:

1- mode of operation (differential or single mode- cross talk )
2- If the power supply is through the interface cable (e.g PoE - wire gauge & DC resistance)
3- the baud rate. (ISI - bandwidth )

are these points enough to decide wich cable that we can use or there is more

about your question : the data that is sent through this cable is data stream , as noticed from attached data sheet.
the length that i used was 130 m and it was working fine but i want to know what is the maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.