Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design input matching of SA636 for 374MHZ (50 ohm) RF input signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to design input matching of SA636 for 374MHZ (50 ohm) RF input signal?

How to calculate L,C values?

Re: SA636 input matching

You need to know Z=R+iX input impedance for this frequency or S-parameter file for the device. When Z is known it is easy, just use any good matching calculator. if you have no one , send me your Z complex number and I will calculate it for you. With S-parameter file it is a bit more complicate because S-parameters may be measured for different frequencies, therefore interpolation will involved.

Okay. You may match 700-j121.58 impedance to pure 50 Ohm with lowpass LC circuit (series L=77.95 nH and then shunt C=2.06 pF) or with high pass circuit (series C=2.32 pF and then shunt L=79.97 nH).

Not quite. The input impedance of the SA636 is 700 ohms, having a parallel (not series) capacitance of 3.5 pF. Matching of this load would be the following:

Source (50 ohms) --> 2.2 pF series capacitor --> 33 nH parallel inductor --> SA636 input (load)

(rounded values)

Well. 700 Ohm and 3.5 pF parallel cap will correspond to 20.5-j118.02 impedance. To match pure 50 Ohm source with this impedance 4 different circuits can be used. High pass LC 2.36 series cap and 31.81 nH shunt L; low pass 10.21 shunt C and series 60.69 nH inductor. Two other circuits have two inductors and therefore are not so interesting.
Boy provided 700-j121.58 Ohm impedance and this means series form, not parallel. I was surprised a bit high resistive part (700 Ohm), but calculate match for given by boy number.

Matching calculations as well as conversion from parallel to series form were done with LINC2 matching calculator.

RF-OM said:
Well. 700 Ohm and 3.5 pF parallel cap will correspond to 20.5-j118.02 impedance. To match pure 50 Ohm source with this impedance 4 different circuits can be used. High pass LC 2.36 series cap and 31.81 nH shunt L; low pass 10.21 shunt C and series 60.69 nH inductor. Two other circuits have two inductors and therefore are not so interesting.
Boy provided 700-j121.58 Ohm impedance and this means series form, not parallel. I was surprised a bit high resistive part (700 Ohm), but calculate match for given by boy number.

Matching calculations as well as conversion from parallel to series form were done with LINC2 matching calculator.

That is right. It is parallel. Sorry about that

But the values given in datasheet is for 240MHZ ,how you use it for 374MHZ?
Is this possible?

You gave me the frequency and impedance, I used your data. Why I should check everything? If you want to have right answer you need to be careful enough to get it.

7rots51,

The input impedance of the SA636 is 700 ohms, having a parallel capacitance of 3.5 pF. This data is given in the data sheet, see below.

This means the input circuit of the SA636 can be matched to virtually any frequency (below the SA636 maximum input frequency of 500 MHz), using a single capacitor and inductor. Component values are calculated using the Smith chart.

The example given for 240 MHz in fig 9 in the data sheet uses the same type of matching, but the component values are selected for matching at 240 MHz.

Do you see the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back