Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Requesting on the information on how to understand amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

caedrean

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I have been trying to understand the theory on how the amplifier (transistor) works. Unfortunately, the infomations i gathered through the internet are bits and pieces. Does anyone know which website can provide me the information on the amplifier clearly and easily? Hopefully by understanding the theory of amplifiers, I will be able to design my own. Thanks!

You want the practical side of view?
or theoretical?
Do you have an electronics background?
Depending on the connection the transistor may be working in 1 off 3 regions. active, cut off or saturation.

in cut off the transistor is off . it is so when no current is passing through its base so that the base emitter voltage is less than 0.6V THErefore no current passing from collector to emmeter.

If Vbe>= 0.6V the transistor is in the active regeon the current in collector is betaIb. So as Ib increases the current in collector will be amplified. But not for infinity there is a point when you reach that the transistor will go to the cut off regeon.

In the cutoff regeon no more Ic = beta Ib

Usually the first and last regeons are used to gether and is called transistor working as switch. In that case if the base voltage is low vc is high=ap.Vcc
else Vcc is low. It is used as a switching mode.

in case 2 it is used as amplifier. There are several configurations each used in a certain application:
common base
common collector
common emitter.

Hope I have answered your question in a quick way

Re: Requesting on the information on how to understand ampli

Hi caedrean,

of course, you will get some answers to your inquiry and - hopefully - some of them will be helpful for you by directing your attention to some good web contributions.
However, from my own experience I urgently would give you the advice to use any good textbook instead of reading "bits and pieces" via the web.

But - as far as I remember - even textbooks are available in the internet. I will name to you some corresponding links as soon as possible.

good luck
LvW

Added after 20 minutes:

Here is a rather good and actual reference, however, I am not sure if it is appropriate for beginners. Just have a look.

designinganalogchips.com

caedrean,
Chapters 2, 3 of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill give good introductions to Bipolar Transistors and FETs respectively.
Regards,
Kral

Hi Kral,

Thanks for the information. Really appreciate that!

you mean you don't want practical stuff?

the things i tried to explain is a combination of the two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back