Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the isolation cells are required in a low power multivoltage design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raju3295

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can any one explain me why the isolation cells are required in a low power multivoltage design

isolation cell logic design

In low power design, we may shut down main parts of chip power, so only one or serval block is still power on. In order to no floating input pins in powered block, we must use a isolation cells to lead input pins to logic '0'. We also say isolation cell as clamp cell.

David

Re: Isolation cells

In Low power design an isolation cell is required where each logic signal crosses from a power domain that can be powered down to a domain that is not powered down. The cell operates as a buffer when the input and output sides of the cell are both powered up, but provides a constant output signal during times that the input side is powered down (prevents short ciruit current due to folating node of always on block). An enable input controls the operating mode of the cell.

A cell that can perform both level-shifting and isolation functions is called an enable levelshifter
cell. This type of cell is used where a signal crosses from one power domain to
another, where the two voltage levels are different and the first domain can be powered
down.

Isolation cells

hi hemant
thanks for the replay ,,
can u please tell me why a floating input to a always on block can cause a shortcirtcuit current .

When you power down a domain, the charges get accumulated in the intermediate nodes (floating nodes ). If this intermediate node is input to the always on block will cause short ciruit current.

raju3295

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

hemanth,

You are mentioning ISOLATION cell requirement from power down block to Always on Block.

My question is, do we require ISOLATION cell from Always on Block to Power down block. in not required , can you tell me how to understand this

Isolation cells

hi vikarm
as far as i understood,
isolation cells are used to avoid the crowbar currents, as the other power domain is off so i feel we dont require to put isolate cells for power down block,

In multiple-supply designs and multivoltage with shut-down designs, the outputs from the shut-down partition into the active partition must be maintained at predictable signal levels.This signal isolation is achieved by using an isolation cell. The isolation logic ensures that all inputs to the active partition are clamped to a fixed value.

raju3295 , hemanth,

(my understanding)Moving higher technology nodes above 90nm, Even though the Shut off region is not conducting, Logic 0/1 coming constantly will affect leackage in the Shut off region interface cells.

can anyone give how this will affect leackage.

Reactions: suzon

suzon

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

This is just what I wanna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back