Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there a delay element in Xilinx FPGAs or CPLDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerox100

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Delay Element?

Is there a delay element in Xilinx FPGAs or CPLDs?

Delay Element?

Or a way to make a delay?

Delay Element?

Yes, some Xilinx FPGAs provide adjustable IDELAY and IODELAY primitives in the device's I/O blocks. They are most often used to make small adjustments to I/O timing, but with some imagination you can find other creative uses. For details, refer to your FPGA User Guide, and the special ISE Libraries Guide for your specific FPGA.

Those delays require instantiation of special library primitives. They are not accessible from the common delay statements in Verilog or VHDL.

Zerox100

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Delay Element?

I'll add to Echo47 that the delay element are on Xilinx Virtex-4 and Virtex-5. It's a bunch of delay taps that you can adjust on each IO for dynamic phase alignment solutions for high-speed source-synchronous interfaces.
refer to this article for more info
**broken link removed**

Delay Element?

In Virtex-5, the IODELAY can be routed directly into the logic fabric. That lets you do fun things inside the FPGA without going through an I/O pad.

The various Spartan-3x FPGA's also provide programmable input delay, but the delay steps are coarser and less flexible than the Virtex-4 and Virtex-5.

Delay Element?

what kind delay are you asking? Simple delay element is counter, delays on io buffers are not recommended, because those ones are small and using to acomplish PCB layout

Re: Delay Element?

use FF to delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back