Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to wire a pulse transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiles

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Wiring pulse transformer

Anyone know how to wiring pulse transformer (formula ...), the basic difference between it and wiring normal transformer ?
thanks !!!

Re: Wiring pulse transformer

Smiles,
A pulse transformer is wired the same as an "ordinary" transformer. However, because the pulse transformer is designed to preserve fast rise and fall times, you must be careful of your layout to minimize shunt capacitances and series inductances. A pulse transformer is designed to have low leakage inductance and low inter-layer winding capacitance. For more information see
http://www.rhombus-ind.com/app-note/circuit.pdf
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/3575.pdf
Regards,
Kral

smiles

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I'm using (except my 20 years of experience) only the Faraday's equation anytime I need to design a switching transformer. Try yourself.

smiles

Wiring pulse transformer

Here are two classic older magnetics design books. They discuss pulse transformers.

"Soft Ferrites - Properties and Applications", Snelling, 1969

"Ferrites for Inductors and Transformers", Snelling and Giles, 1983

smiles

Wiring pulse transformer

thanks !!! Could you tell me some about its operation, how is the input that the output are pulses ???

smiles said:
thanks !!! Could you tell me some about its operation, how is the input that the output are pulses ???

A pulse transformer is driven with a pulse or a pulse train. On the secondary the pulse will be bipolar (even the primary pulse is unipolar) because of the core magnetisation. Thus it require in the secondary a circuit to supress unwanted polarity (usually one or two diodes) and a load near nominal value for which the transformer windings have been calculated.
Lower load means higher spikes. Higher load means lower spikes but also lower pulse amplitude.

smiles

Thanks so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back