Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Designer: How to drag PCB component with traces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnG300c

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any way to drag a footprint and have the traces follow (i.e. rubberbanding)?

You can try edit-move-drag track end then drag your component and it should drag the track too. But the results aren't always great.

I tried everything on the edit menu but can't seem to drag a component such that the connected buses follow "nicely". Altium essentially only rubberbands the last trace segments instead of the whole trace.

AD can do this? I don't think so. Is this possible House Cat?

However I know Expedition can do this easily.

You have to set your preferences to allow dragging tracks with a component. Go to Preferences>>PCB Editor>>Other>>Comp Drag, and select "Connected Tracks". Now when you use "move component" (shortcut MC), the tracks will drag with the component as long as they aren't locked.

Note that it is only the tracks connected to the component that drag. The entire net doesn't drag - that would make a mess of the board.

@ltium Designer: How to drag PCB component with traces?

House Cat: I don't see any "other/comp drag setting" in AD 6.6. Can you confirm this setting?

Re: @ltium Designer: How to drag PCB component with traces?

JohnG300c said:
House Cat: I don't see any "other/comp drag setting" in AD 6.6. Can you confirm this setting?

I left out one pointer - the "Other" settings are on the "General" page of the PCB Editor Preferences. My post should have said "Preferences>PCB Editor>General>Other>Comp Drag". That setting has been in the preferences pages of every version of Protel/Altium as far back as I can remember.

@ltium Designer: How to drag PCB component with traces?

HI!

In ORCAD PCB editor...you can do it by selecting the
stretch etch in option in the move command

ENjoy!

Altium 10 you can CNTR click and the component will rubberband

In Altium designer just hold the ctrl key and you can move the component with track

In Altium designer just hold the ctrl key and you can move the component with track

Hi,

I don't think so this will work in altium designer.

Otherwise can you please tell me, is anything i have to enable or change the settings because i am not aware of this.

As per i know edit/move/drag is the method to drag with track.

edit/selct comp & traces u want to move/thn drag it with mouse.

so simple. no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back